22: Farewell

WARNINGS: This chapter includes some sexual content that may be considered innapropriate for those under 13. (it's not 50 shades of greyor anything but just thought i'd put a warning up for those who arent into reading this kind of stuff).

Li Hua's POV

Her heart hammers in her ribcage, so loud she think The Emperor himself might even be able to hear it.

"I'll be back" he promises, lips pressed against her skin before getting up to leave. She watches him, heart aching as he strides purposefully outside of the room in a flurry of golden robes and alluring confidence. From her place within the room, she can hear his voice, dark and deep, murmuring something to the guards outside.

She'll miss the low rumble of his voice.

She'll miss everything about this place.

When she had first entered The Palace, she had hated it. Hated the people, the customs. And now, she thinks dryly........

The Emperor walks back inside, his lips quirked as he saunters over towards her.

This was his territory, she quickly realizes. This game was something that he had played before, a game that she had only just entered. The thrill and anticipation of not knowing what to expect sends butterflies skimming within her stomach. He leans over her, a hand brushing her flushed cheeks,

"There is a bath ready, you should join me" For a moment, she doesn't answer him, her face instead turning at least three shades a darker crimson. When she doesn't answer immediately, she watches amusedly as his confidence falters for a second. "U-unless you don't want to, then that is perfectly fine-"

She laughs, a real and genuine laugh that soothes over his worried expression.

"Yes please, your highness"

Vaguely, within the back of her mind, she reminds herself not to fall for him any harder than she already has.It starts off innocent enough. The Emperor's bath room is huge, lit by lanterns that cast a warm glow against beautifully inked paper fold screens. The screens show images of painted cherry blossoms, dragons, and poems, a few of which she can recognize. A huge wooden tub lays in the centre of the room, the steaming water is filled with rosy pink petals of lotus flowers which float upon the sparkling liquid, its soothing scent wafting throughout the room. She puffs out a laugh,

"Liánhuā (Lotus)" she mumbles. He chuckles, his broad arms wrapping around her shoulders, the action sending the reverberations of his laugh against her spine. The action for some reason feels natural, as if she were made to fit perfectly within the folds of his arms.

"No," he chastises jokingly , his chin resting lightly on her shoulder.
"My Bènzhuō (Clumsy) Liánhuā (Lotus)" His breath puffs lightly onto her partially bared skin and her heart flutters once again, heat rushing throughout her body. She laughs, cocking her head to rest onto his head. His eyes are a dark mahogany shade clouded over with lust as he lets go of her shoulders to face her instead. She stares up at him, all thoughts of the tragic near-future forgotten for now.

For now, she would be selfish.

"Yes, your Bènzhuō (Clumsy) Liánhuā (Lotus)" she declares, her hands cautiously moving to place themselves on his chest. She can feel his heart beating rapidly beneath her fingertips, the shallow movement of his breaths almost matching her own.

He leans forward slowly, his lips pressing firmly against her own rosy and bruised ones. Her eyes flutter close as his rough hands move to her shoulders, pausing at the fabric of her ruqun.

"妳會允許我愛妳嗎?(Would you allow me to love you?)" He asks her. A moment of silence passes between them as her heart breaks for both of them.