23: Beyond the Golden Wall

The Emperor's POV

The bed feels colder when he wakes up.

...The night before...

Li Hua's POV

Honestly, she'd rather be doing anything but this right now.

She dresses herself quickly and ruthlessly efficient, her mind refusing to wander back to the man behind just beyond the paper screen. Slipping out of the room quietly, her bare feet pad softly against the cold floor towards a sleeping guard. His companion, upon her approach, roughly nudges the poor man awake and both pretend to not notice her presence or her unkempt appearance. They both bow slightly as she hurries by, keeping her head low. It is unlikely that they wouldn't know what had occurred in The Emperor's chambers the night before; after all one doesn't share a bed with The Emperor merely to slumber.

At this time of night, there is barely a soul awake, the normally bustling palace corridors are all but abandoned. Passing the Imperial Garden she can't help but to look at each nook of The Palace in fond memory. Every marble bench, every pond and every pavilion holds a memory and it pains her to leave this life behind so soon.

It takes her a while to get to her own quarters, a few maids rustle by, eyes bleary with sleep and movements still stiff with sleep. They pay her little attention, curtsying as she hurries past, too busy with their own chores in preparation for the day ahead of them. The wooden doors to her chamber squeak softly as she pries them open as she slips into her room. However, the sight that greets her sends a wave of guilt rippling through her.

The small marble table placed before her bed is occupied by the one and only, Jingah. The young girl had fallen asleep, no doubt waiting for Li Hua to return and gush about her night with The Emperor. The young girl is slouched over the table, her position no doubt a regret to face in the morning. Li Hua sighs fondly, her heart aching and becoming heavier. Grabbing a blanket from the bed she softly drapes it over her friend's frame before sweeping some stray hairs from her face. Perhaps it was some small gift from the Gods that they would allow her to find such a valuable friendship in the form of this girl; in another life, she silently swears to repay her. However, in this very life that she now occupies, this debt will have to go unpaid.

Li Hua silently gathers her stuff, quickly packing it into a satchel while praying to the Gods that she does not wake Jingah from her slumber. She's about to tie the bag up and leave once and for all until the sight of her hairpin catches her eye. The thing had been a gift from The Emperor. Hesitating, she grabs the hairpin too, stuffing it in along with the other items.

As she goes to leave, Jingah's snores suddenly begin to stutter. Li Hua's heart jumps, her stomach dropping. But the interruption quickly ceases and the girl continues to slumber peacefully, her face mashed upon her forearm. She manages to breath again, huffing out a shaky laugh behind her tears beginning to form.

It's funny, she thinks. How love can come in so many forms.

She somehow manages to make her way to The Palace Stables unnoticed and already, the sun is beginnning to peak over the far horizon and The Palace grounds begin to stir with life. The golden light warms her cheeks as she hustles quickly towards the stable holding her intended mare. The horse, whose name escapes her, is already awake, it's wise eyes watching her suspiciously as she makes her way closer. The stable surprisingly doesn't stink aside from the new and fresh steaming pile of excrement in the far corner and for that she sends a quick 'thank you' prayer to whatever God seems to be watching over her today.

Coming closer, she realizes how huge the beast actually is. It stands a good arms length above her head, it's sleek black fur almost bristling as she approaches. She can barely recall the creature's name, though if memory serves her right, it was something to do with the shade of its coat.