Chapter 10 - Mind over Matter

{Morning, keep the streets empty for me.

Keep the Streets Empty For Me - Fever Ray}

Chapter 10 - Mind over Matter

The sound of the dial tone resounding down the phone was enough to pull me from my trance. My throat tightened as I tried to fight the onslaught of tears, and I desperately tried to push aside my emotions as I beat back the realisation that Warren and I where no longer together.

But I couldn't keep the knowledge of our breakup from my mind, and as the numbness that had settled over me started to lift, my eyes began to search the schoolyard; deliberately ignoring the curious stares sent my way and instead moving past the oval and across the quad. Without realising it, I locked on to the swarm of students that took up residence by the picnic tables, honing in on the dominant figure that took pride of place in the centre of the clique.

I wasn't thinking clearly. At least, that's what I told myself, and ultimately the principal. But when I caught sight of the almighty Damon 'The Demon' lording himself over his friends - something in me snapped.

I had always seen the gang of Damon's followers as an unbreakable barrier, a genuine force to be reckoned with that shielded their precious Damon from the prying eyes of us lowly commoners. But as I barrelled towards them at high speed, they parted for me like the red sea did for Moses, shying away from my wielding arms as I surged towards their centre. Several stragglers where slow getting out of my way, but I was far from caring as I drove my elbows into their ribs and pushed them aside.

Spurred on by my determination - and with a clear goal in mind - I pushed aside my heartache and made the final steps towards him.

He didn't see it coming. Not until it was too late.

Damon's head cracked to one side, his usual ability to absorb powerful blows absent due to my sudden attack. Damon's friends let fly with a round of gasps, clearly shocked by my seemingly unprovoked assault. The palm of my hand stung from where it had connected with Damon's cheek, but the ache was of little relevance as Damon slowly, and deliberately, turned back to face me.

"You bastard," I hissed, as his face darkened. "Do you know what you've done? Do you?!"

Damon remained impassive, returning my murderous gaze coolly as his knuckles cracked in apprehension. His right cheek glowed faintly crimson from where I'd struck him, the only blemish adorning his otherwise untarnished skin. The sudden thought that I could still find beauty in Damon Smith was enough to make me gag, and with a knotted stomach I spat out my next words.

"You've successfully ruined the only good thing that I had going in my life. And I can't believe I helped you do it. You led me along knowing right from the start how things were going to end, how everything was going to fall to pieces. For me. Whereas you just get to dust your hands off after another days' work and move on. You knew all along what would happen, that our little performance would change everything for me while you go on living life as a hero. You knew that I was naive, to stupid and innocent to realise what a selfish person you are. That's why you picked me, isn't it? I can't believe I ever thought of you as a good person. I can't believe I ever relied on you to keep your word!"