Chapter Two

As I look at his face almost a year later, I still find myself falling for him. I mentally slapped my face a couple of times for thinking about how cute his curls were now. I have seen him before on my television screen and laptop, but never in person. Maybe fate prevented me from seeing him and murdering him. But maybe it’s just the way things supposed to be; we shouldn’t be together anymore. Besides, isn’t that what he wanted?

As I look at him, I remember every article I read on the internet which spread like wildfire days, or even hours, after hearing about the tragic wedding – our unfinished wedding.

“Harry Styles running from bride-to-be Joanna Flynn”

“Happy ever after not for Harry and Joanna?”

“Joarry no more?”

But no one knew what really happened, even I. Everyone was curious about what happened but no one cared to explain because only Harry could, and he didn’t even bother to say anything about it. He acted like it never happened, like he didn’t know me. So now, that’s what I am going to do.

“Joanna” He said my name slowly “It’s me. Harry”

I raised my eyebrows at him and cleared my throat, preventing the tears from making their way to my eyes “I’m sorry but-“

“You don’t remember?” His voice quavered a bit, but maybe it was just me imagining it did.

“Uh…” I gulped nervously, trying to make up a lie in my head. I looked over Harry’s shoulder and saw Mattie walking over to our table. As her eyes met mine, I silently asked for help, so she quickly made her way to us.

“Mattie” Harry greeted awkwardly as he saw Mattie. “How’ve you been?”

“Great. Thanks” Mattie said sarcastically as she rolled her eyes at him. I nearly snickered at him, but I controlled myself.

“What happened?” Harry asked as he looked over to me then to Mattie.

“Joanna-“

“I was in a car accident” I finished before Mattie could even say anything. I saw her look over to me curiously then she finally caught on with my act.

“And you had amnesia?” Harry concluded as I saw his fist clenched and jaw tighten.

“Yes” Mattie answered for me before pulling me from my seat. “She doesn’t remember anything so if you don’t mind, we’re going now. It was nice seeing you again, Harry”

“But, wait” Harry grabbed my wrist and turned me around, causing me to wince as he accidentally touched my cuts. With my eyes stinging with tears, I withdrew my arm from him, carefully wrapping my other hand around my wrist. He looked at my face then my wrist then my face again, with his jaw tight like he was mad. “What happened to your wrist?”

“I…” I started but something blocked my throat.

“The accident” Mattie answered for me, before draping her arm around my shoulder, pulling me away from Harry.

We walked away from Harry and this time, he didn’t stop me. I looked over my shoulder and saw him still standing there, watching us leave the restaurant.

I bit my lip as I saw the red fluid run down my skin. I pressed my thumb on the skin surrounding the cut, as my eyes filled with tears. How could I be so stupid?

I sighed and sat down on the stool, with my thumb still pressed on my wrist.

“Hey, I’m back-“ I heard Mattie’s voice and saw her walk inside the kitchen. She almost threw the grocery bags she was holding when she saw my wirst. “Joanna! What are you doing?”