Chapter I - Leaving

Author's Note

It's short, I'm still testing the spacing with this being the first story I've ever uploaded!  This story is a fan-fiction based on the show called Once Upon A Time which plays on Sunday nights on ABC.  You DON'T NEED to have watched the show to understand what's going on, but I would definately recommend it!  (It's on Netflix instant queue!)  Check out the video on the side, it's a trailer and gives some background info on the show.  Thanks for reading this and if you like it remember to VOTE, FAN, COMMENT!  Dedication for this chapter goes to sexysailor for kindly dedicating a chapter of her story for me. :)

Chapter I

Have you ever had the feeling that you didn’t belong anywhere?  Imagine that feeling, but multiply it by, oh, I don’t know, a very large number.  That’s what it’s like for me.  I live in a small town in Maine called Camden, not too far from the Atlantic Ocean.  It’s a really nice town, having some of the prettiest old-style buildings in the area, but I keep having this nagging feeling inside of me telling me that I’m not supposed to be here.  There is this reoccurring dream that I’ve been having throughout my life, it’s a dream of a forest, a place where dreams come true, a place I almost feel like I’ve actually been before.  As much as I wish that such a place was real, it’s impossible.  Dreams are meaningless.

I’m Elle Lucidia, I’m nineteen years old and although I originally planned on going to college and getting a degree in chemistry, I just haven’t got around to it.  I honestly have no idea where I’m going in life and that scares me.  I know it may seem a little rash, but I’ve decided to run.

Running, running, running.  From what?  To what?  I don’t know.  I just can’t stand living in a place that no matter how hard I try I can’t really feel a part of. 

In the midst of my self-pity I hear a honking through the front door of my apartment.  The apartment complex is actually an old motel renovated into larger living spaces.  It isn’t the most ideal place to live, but it’s all I have.  Well… had.  “I’m coming!”  I shout through the door to the impatient taxi driver waiting for me outside.  I quickly cram the rest of my belongings into the purple jumbo-sized suitcase I bought from Wal-Mart this morning.  I make a quick round throughout each room to make sure I have everything I need. 

“Ah!” I gasp, when I reach the front door.  I could swear I just saw someone next to me.  I look to my right to see a blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl staring at me.  I roll my eyes.  “My reflection,” I say under my breath.  I must be completely out of it today.  I take down the mirror and rush my stuff outside to not see a yellow taxi sitting in the driveway.

“Are you kidding me?” I whine into the clear blue sky.  The taxi driver couldn’t have waited FIVE minutes for me to get my things together?  I drop my stuff onto the sidewalk and run back up to the apartments.  I run up the stairs and down the narrow hallway to the rooms and start knocking rapidly on my neighbor’s door.

“Yes?” answers Simon, the only person in this town that I can actually consider a friend.  I have known Simon for as long as I can remember, he has always been there for me and people who see us together always comment, saying we would make a cute couple.  I laugh thinking about that though, Simon is a great friend.  Being in a relationship with him is just something that will never happen.

“I have a huge favor to ask you and I really need your help!” I throw at him immediately.

He jerks his head of styled brown hair back a little and smirks, crossing his arms.  “What is it?” he asks, still smirking.

“I need your car.”

He tilts his head to the side a little and raises his eyebrows at me.  He sure has a way with expressions.  “What-EVAH do you need it for?” he asks me in a terrible British accent.

“I’m not British,” I tell him, yet again.

“Maybe not, but the hint of an accent in your voice says otherwise,” he grins.  I roll my eyes at him.  I know he’s right, but it’s weird because I’m not even sure where it came from.

“So can I use it or not?” I ask him, allowing myself to sound slightly desperate, considering I kind of am.

“Hmm,” he starts, always loving to make me wait on him.  I look at my invisible watch, hoping that will speed his mind up a little, but it only makes him laugh.  I glare at him.  “On one condition, I get to go with you!” he exclaimes, throwing his arms up in the air, trying to be funny no doubt.

“What?” I ask, “No!  I wanted to go by myself!” I say pouting.

“Hey, it’s my car ma’am and if you want it you have to let me go too.  Where are you planning on going anyways?” he asks.

I freeze, I hadn’t really figured that part out yet.  I was so focused on leaving that I didn’t even plan on where I wanted to go.  “I don’t know,” I finally tell him, feeling a little embarrassed.

“Well then, I guess we’ll make a road trip out of it then, eh?” he says, pulling out his keys and swinging the lanyard around his index finger.  “Excuse me while I pack,” he says, walking back into his apartment, leaving the door open.

I take that as an invitation to go in, so I do.  I look around his living room and kitchen areas, which look like a reflection from mine except a heck of a lot messier.  I take a seat on his worn-out striped couch as I wait for him to get done.  As I close my eyes to try and ease the pain of the headache I was starting to get, I feel a small furry something drop onto my lap.  “Oh!” I utter, my eyes flying open to see a fluffy young white cat sitting on my lap; its crystal eyes staring teasingly at me.  “You aren't bringing your cat with are you?”  I ask Simon, who right then happens to appear in the doorway.  I'm begging in my mind that he won't.  He just smiles.  He picks up the cat, and walks over to a small green pet carrier where he places the little thing inside. 

“What do you have against cats?” he asks, petting its fur through the open carrier door.

I get up from the couch.  “I don't know, they're kind of annoying,” I tell him, walking towards the door of the apartment.  “Are you ready to go now?” I ask.  He walks over to the fridge and takes out two black cans.  My eyes widen when I realize it’s my favorite drink, an Arnold Palmer.  He throws one to me as he shuts the fridge door and keeps one for himself.

“Yes I am,” he says, getting up with his cat in one hand, luggage in the other.  I start walking with my can back down the hallway towards the exit.  Simon locks the door and follows me to the garage.  I open the garage door and am immediately greeted by the smell of grease, oil, gas and sweat.  I pinch my nose to prevent myself from throwing up at the strength of the odor.  Simon just laughs.  “Patrick from room four is trying to fix up his car,” he says pointing to a dirty old clunker in the back.

“Ugh, that thing honestly looks like it’s beyond repair,” I say making my way to Simon’s mint green hybrid.

“Never underestimate the power of Pat-man,” he says laughing.  We throw our stuff in the back and Simon opens the front door and places the green carrier in the passenger seat.

“Um, no,” I tell him, “I’m not going to sit in the back seat while your cat takes shotgun,” I cross my arms.

“Kitty needs to see my handsome face or he will be sad,” Simon says in a pouty voice.  Oh, he can be so immature sometimes.  I just glare at him.  “Okay, fine,” he says, giving in, “Sorry Kitty, I’ll make it up to you,” he whispers through the holes in the carrier.  I take my rightful seat and we make our way out of the garage and of the apartment’s driveway starting our… adventure.