Chapter 17 - Burning

The winds twirled through the air in their splendid dance, whispering their song in tune to the soft shuffling of the leaves as Danae, Ferran, Michael and Aoife ducked swiftly through the darkness of the forest she knew so well. And yet this quiet melody could do nothing to tame the apprehension and fear that invaded her heart. 

Worry plunged Danae's heartbeat into a frantic beating. Vincent hung over her mind in a grim mist, skirting the edges of her thoughts. As she led the way through the damp woods, over the carpet of abandoned pine needles that lay upon the floor, broken words ricocheted off her mind, straight through her heart.

What if she lost him forever?

Danae? Lucas' voice spoke gently.

Lucas.

He's going to be fine.

If anything happens to him, it'll be my fault. Guilt tore through Danae's soul. Just how many times would she hurt him?

Lucas' voice hardened, grew firm. Stop worrying. Aoife, Ferran and Michael will get him out just fine. He's going to be fine. Certainty laced his voice, threading itself through Danae's heart as it reached her. Just be safe.

I will. Be careful, Lucas. Please. A shiver snaked down her spine, as around her, the thicket rustled in a seductive dance, and a shadow crossed her heart. Something feels wrong.

Lucas' thoughts eased. A strange warmth touched her as the winds embraced her skin. We'll be fine. I can fight, Danae. You know that.

I do know that. But something doesn't feel right. Danae paused in her even footfalls, raising her eyes to gaze up at the sky. Fear caged her heart.

I'll be waiting for you. Be safe, love, Lucas whispered into her thoughts as his presence vanished from her mind. A light smile tugged at the corners of Danae's lips, curling them upwards.

For you, she whispered into the silence of her mind, though she knew he would hear her.

But almost instantly, the mirth was brushed from her, and the smile faded from her lips. Dread took its place as before her, the path broke away into the soft glow of the lake.

While it had been a sight to behold in the day, the lake was now a glittering heaven beneath the beams of moonlight that touched her and her friends. All was silent, void of the sounds of nature she had grown accustomed to in the life she had left behind her in all the magic she had found. No dragonflies darted through moonbeams in their metallic finery, nor did the fishes burst the surface as she stepped from the shadows, alone.

The winds grew, lashing her hair to the side as she raised her head in her fear and disappointment. "He's not here," Danae whispered, her eyes darting around desperately.

But as those words left her lips, another reached her ears. "Danae, move!" Michael's voice snarled from behind her.

The winds whistled. Obeying, Danae shifted, slinking to her right and downwards. Something thudded into a tree behind her, sending the leaves cascading to the ground, around the arrow that had been embedded deep within the bark.

Ferran cursed loudly as her feet shifted of their own accord. Another arrow whispered haunting words as it flew past her ear. Strong arms wrapped around her and pulled her back as a blade sliced through the air. "We've been tricked," Aoife growled as her blades slipped into her ready hands. Michael and Ferran reached into their cloaks, each pulling out a sword.