Chapter 8 - To Say Hello To Goodbyes

8 - Say Hello To Goodbyes

Rehearsals blurred the next few days in the circus, and each passing day gave Danae more hope that perhaps their debut performance in Lithewall would be as good as Ferran had hoped it would be. And as each day passed and she grew to know the entire troupe, she realized that whatever she had witness that night with Vincent had been the least of what the cirque could do.

She watched each of her friend's performances, and her awe for their skills and magic remained long after they had completed their act. Her eyes had pursued the trapeze artists who swung and leapt high above the ground as the glitter that trailed their path drifted to the ground in a slow, celestial dance. 

She had watched the clowns throw the troupe into peals of delighted laughter as they each fell off their unicycles, got back up and toppled once more, and yet, for the umpteenth time, climbed to their feet and tried again. 

She had watched from the sidelines as the contortionists twisted and turned their bodies with the music, each move elegant, each move yearning for the chance to show the audience that they too, have the skills it required to join this magical circus.

And most of all, she had studied Lucas' act and watching longingly as he danced with Erelieva in the most impressive performance of all.

But she had her own act to worry about, and day in and day out, Lucas coached her with the help of Lea's friends.

"That's it," he coaxed one night as they resumed their practice after a hearty dinner that Gérard had placed before her. Now, she sat astride her horse, tracing her fingers along Nyala's midnight coat, but her thoughts were a thousand leagues away, with the boy she had left to join this circus. She had not had the chance to talk to him. The pang that cut her heart let her shut her eyes with the thought that she had pushed to the back of her mind for days at a time: I miss you, Vince.

"Danae, are you listening to me?" Frustration colored Lucas' voice as he, for the hundredth time, discovered that she was not paying attention.

Danae looked up as in her mind, Nyala said, Dreaming again, are you?

She stroked her snout. No, thinking, she thought.

"Danae!" Lucas' voice was evidently furious now. Her head snapped up to meet his golden eyes. He sighed and ran a hair through his dark hair as something in his expression softened and grew tender. "Please, Danae, our debut is in two days. We need you to be perfect."

Guilt ripped through her. "Sorry, Lucas," she muttered, but her mind was still wrapped around her best friend. Regardless, she listened to the ethereal music that danced in the Big Top, feeling the magic of the song envelope her soul. She knew what she was meant to do perfectly, birthed of days of listening to Lucas and the riders—Isa, Denise and Lorraine. 

And they practiced, over and over, again and again in the same routine. It was instantly obvious Danae was a good rider, so flawless was her synchronisation with Nyala as together, they performed Lea's old routine. She relished the feeling of being free atop her mare. But there was another reason for the enthusiasm at which she threw herself into the practices and rehearsals.

Each night, she returned to her tent, her lashes shut. A full day of rehearsals kept the dreams away, and repelled the pain of her yearning for Vincent, the pain she knew would be reflected upon his face every second she was away from him. 

And yet, she found no reason to leave the circus and return to him. Life in the Circus of Dreams was wonderful, captivating, as she watched the magic that surrounded the troupe, and now, herself.