Chapter 2 - Circus of Dreams

2 - Circus of Dreams

"Where are we going?" Danae's questions remained unheeded as she sat in the passenger seat of her own car. Vincent had taken up the driver's seat, promising to take her to a mystery place.

"Be patient," he smiled. He maneuvered the Ferrari gingerly down a dirt path not unlike the one that led to her house, except this one led to the Eternal Fields. It was named so because of the fact that the fields had scarcely changed. It was a very lonely place, located so deep in the forest that few had ever ventured there.

The dirt path grew narrower, shielded by trees on either side. Soon, the car had to stop. Vincent cut the engine and got out of the car. Danae slid out of her seat. She dug her feet into the muddy ground, the cool leaves and mud sending a chill that she could feel even through her sneakers. "Why are we here?" she asked.

Vincent grabbed her hand and pulled her down the dirt path that continued on into the crushing darkness. It was too small for cars, but for two slight teenagers, it was just right. "Vince," she complained.

He kept walking, but a playful smile tugged at the corners of his lips. "Trust me, Danae. You won't be disappointed."

"But my car—" Danae protested.

"It won't get stolen," he promised.

She shot him a dirty look, wondering what brought on his determination to get to Eternal Fields. "If it does, I'll kill you."

"Sure, sure," he said, trying to suppress a laugh now.

They continued on. Vincent didn't stop, and just as Danae was about to insist they turn back, they reached the fields.

A cry of surprise caught in Danae's throat. Lush green grass covered the fields, looking like silver under the full moon that glowed above. A passing breeze swept back Danae's hair, rustling branches full of leaves. The air that she inhaled felt fresh, untainted, like it had never gone through the endless cycle of breath. But instead of being lonely and quiet, the tents had been laid over the grass. Then the full name came to her mind. "Circus tents," she breathed, bewitched by the sight. Small glittering lights lined the edges of the tents, which was a maze that encircled the biggest one that stood in the center. The Big Top. It was easily the grandest, the biggest, and through the canvas she could hear the voices that swayed with the opening and closing of the entrance flap.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Vincent's voice jolted her back into the present.

"How did you know it was here?" she asked, eyes wide with wonder and amazement.

"You remember that day I said I was going hiking?"

"Of course." Vincent had called on her to see if she wanted to join him, but she had rejected his offer, wishing to be alone.

"Well, I got lost. It was late when I managed to stumble here, and even then the circus had arrived, but the tents were just shy of completion," he explained.

"Why haven't we heard of it?"

He shrugged. "No idea. But there were talks of a circus coming to Lithewall. But this isn't just any circus." Vincent's eyes were lit up, reflecting the glittering lights.

When Danae stared at him, he said, "It's the Cirque des Rêves, Danae. It's French. Do you know what it means in English?"

Danae called on her limited knowledge of the language of love, flipping through all the words she knew in French. Something clicked in her head. "Circus of Dreams," she said. It dawned on her. "Just like the song I wrote."