1 - Not Everyone is Meant To Be a Superhero

Not Everyone is Meant To Be a Superhero

Matrix

Central Park, 23rd May, 2005.

I looked up, amazed. All around me, the flowers on the ground started to dance. At first, I didn't believe my eyes. Flowers couldn't dance, could they? Just as I started to believe that it was just my imagination, the water in the lake in front of me started to rise, and people appeared, made out of water. They started to dance, and all around them, dolphins made out of water started jumping around, and music started to play. I smiled as the water started to form shapes. Soon, I had forgotten about being upset completely, and was having fun and dancing around. When the song finished, the water went calm, before mini fireworks shot up. It was only after they had exploded and I was soaked did I remember that it was water, but I was too happy to be upset, and just started laughing. As soon as I did, the whole scene went silent. The water went still, and flowers stopped dancing, as though it never happened. I would have thought that it was just my imagination, had it not been for the fact that I was soaked from head to toe in water.

"Hello?"

I didn't expect anyone to be here, but I was surprised to find that there was someone else here, and he looked my age.

"Hello..." He muttered shyly.

"Was that... was that you?" I asked, confused. I didn't think that it could have been him, but what other explanation was there!

"W-was what me?" He asked, but I could tell he knew exactly what I was talking about.

"So it was you!" I gasped, amazed. He tried to deny it, but I knew that it was him; I didn't need to read his mind to know that it was him.

"Don't worry - I won't tell anyone."

'Should I trust her? I don't know... If she does tell, then how am I meant to be a superhero if everyone knows my real identity?'

"You want to be a superhero!"

He stared at me in shock, and then I realised that his lips weren't moving when he was talking... I must have been reading his mind! I had forgotten that I had to watch people if I wanted to talk to them, or I could respond to something that they didn't actually say!

"H-How did you know that I want to be a superhero!" He gasped, amazed.

"Um... How did you control the water?" I asked, not sure how to explain.

"So you're like me!" He said excitedly, "Can you move things by thinking about it as well! Can you-"

I quickly stopped him by shaking my head; as far as I knew, all I could do was read people's minds...

"Anyway," I said, because I wanted a new topic, "What's your name?"

"Well," he said, a twinkle in his eye, "I can't have you knowing my real identity; that would be very bad for my future; you could tell people my real identity, and that could put lives in danger and-"

"Okay! I get it! What should I call you then, Super boy?" I laughed.

He looked thoughtful for a second before replying "Techno."

"Well, I'm Mae..." I started, before remembering that I needed to make up a name, "-Trix. Matrix."

"Matrix?" I blushed. The first thing that popped into my head was my name; Mae Trixie Streak, and so I just went with Matrix.

"Yeah..."

"Until we meet again, Matrix," He said, winking before running away. I wanted to believe that we would meet again, like her did, but I was sure that our paths wouldn't mix; and if they did, I wouldn't tell him who I really was. No, I would never tell him...