Chapter 11: A Sickness

Flora's POV:

Balin and Bilbo walk into a tunnel leading to the interior of the mountain, while the rest of us wait outside.

"You want me to find a jewel?" I could faintly hear my father say. The Arkenstone is a large white jewel that is to be considered the King's jewel. I look at Thorin out of the corner of my eye and see him pacing. I could tell that being this close to the gold, was taking its' toll on him.

"It never ceases to amaze me." Balin chuckled as he came out, leaving my father to face a fire breathing drafon.

"What would that be?" Dori questions the older dwarf.

Balin looks at me and smiles, "The courage of Hobbits."

I felt my cheeks redden, and I look away from everyone and look out towards Dale. I hear a faint voice in the air. Though I do not recognize it.

"One will die, while two shall live." the voice whispers. What does that mean? "She will break ones' heart and become Queen."

Queen? Break one's heart? What the Valar? There was a loud roar that broke me from my thoughts. I suddenly felt scared for my father.

"What was that?" Nori questioned.

"That laddie, is a dragon." Balin sighed.

"We have to go in there!" I exclaimed.

"No." Thorin shook his head. "I will not risk the lives of my kin for a burglar."

I felt the urge to slap him, but I held back. Balin had agreed with me but Thorin gave him the same speech.

"He is not just a burglar!" I shouted, making everyone look at me. "He is my father!" Thorin's face fell and Dwalin stepped towards me. "You know I was starting to think that you had changed, that you really cared about mine and my father's life. But now I see that you never truly cared."

And with that I ran into the mountain, not listening as the dwarves called my name urging me to come back outside. In run out onto the same overhang Bilbo had earlier reached, then stops abruptly when I sees the mountain of treasure all around me. I breathes heavily. Just then, Bilbo runs up to me. I smile and sigh, feeling a sudden urge of relief.

"You're alive!" I exclaim.

"Not for much longer." Bilbo huffs.

"Did you find the Arkenstone?" Thorin asked, making me jump a few feet off the ground. I had not realized that he had come up behind me.

"The dragon's coming!" Bilbo urged.

"The Arkenstone!" Thorin hissed. We are standing at the entrance to the tunnel, but Thorin is blocking Bilbo's way. They pause and look at each other for several seconds, then Thorin speaks again, more quietly. "Did you find it?"

They stare at each other for several seconds, panting heavily. While I walk into the open and look around.

"No. We have to get out." my father urged. Bilbo tries to enter the tunnel, but Thorin swings his sword across it, blocking the entrance. He presses the blade against Bilbo, and Bilbo stumbles back, the sword still touching him. Bilbo and Thorin face each other, with the tip of Thorin's sword against Bilbo's chest. "Thorin. Thorin!"

Third Person POV:

Thorin steps forward, forcing Bilbo to step back. Bilbo's eyes are open in fear, and Thorin's face is steel and blank of emotion. Suddenly, Bilbo looks off to the side, and Thorin hears a sound in that direction. He turns and sees Smaug approaching over the mountain of treasure. And Flora standing in the war path.