Chapter 9: Lake-Town Craze Part Two

Third Person POV:

Legolas approaches the elves guarding the entrance to the Woodland Realm. "Holo in ennyn! Tiro i defnin hain na ganed en-Aran. (Close the gate! Keep it sealed by order of the King.)"

Legolas turns to walk away, but one of the guards calls out. "Man os Tauriel? (What about Tauriel?)"

Legolas stops short. "Man os sen? (What about her?)"

"Edevín eb enedhor na gû a megil. En ú-nandollen. (She went into the forest armed with her bow and blade. She has not returned.)" the elf guard stated.

As Legolas walks toward the gate, the guard points out toward the forest in the direction Tauriel went. Legolas looks anxious.

Bolg and his orcs arrive at the rock where the dwarves met Bard. One of the orcs tastes a pool of liquid.

"nash! Agra-yi. (Dwarf blood! They were here.)" the orc hissed.

"Nuzdi-arg nash...hum an bunish! (There is another scent...man flesh!)" Bolg stated. "They have found a way to cross the lake."

Bard paddles the dwarves and Bilbo across the lake in his barge. It is very foggy, and the barge pushes aside ice floes. Suddenly, large stone formations appear out of the fog.

"Watch out!" Bofur exclaimed. Bard expertly poles the barge between the rock formations, which turn out to be ancient ruins.

"What are you trying to do, drown us?" Thorin hissed. Flora glared at Thorin, who gave her a apologetic look.

"I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here." Bard retorted.

"Oh I have enough of this lippy lakeman. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him." Dwalin hissed.

Bilbo answer him slightly angrily. "Ohh, Bard, his name's Bard."

"How do you know?" Bofur questioned.

"Uh, I asked him." Bilbo stated.

"I don't care what he calls himself, I don't like him." Dwalin whispered to Thorin.

"We do not have to like him, we simply have to pay him. Come on now, lads, turn out your pockets." Balin stated, clearly hearing him.

The dwarves begin pulling out their money and valuables. Dwalin whispers to Thorin. "How do we know he won't betray us?"

"We don't." Thorin sighed.

Balin counts the money. "There's, um, just a problem: we're ten coins short."

"Gloin. Come on. Give us what you have." Thorin urged.

"Don't look to me. I have been bled dry by this venture! And what have I seen for my investment? Naught but misery and grief and-" Gloin stops talking when he realizes that all the others have slowly stood up and are looking at something in the distance. As the fog thins, we see the Lonely Mountain. "Bless my beard. Take it. Take all of it." Gloin hands Balin a sack of coins he had secretly withheld before. Bilbo coughs and gestures his head toward Bard, who is approaching the dwarves on their end of the barge.

"The money, quick, give it to me." Bard said with sudden urgency.

"We'll pay you when we get our provisions, but not before." Thorin hissed.