Chapter 1: Gandalf the Grey

Flora's POV:

"Good morning." my father said as Gandalf came up to us as we sat outside our home.

"What do you mean? Do you mean to wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not? Or perhaps you mean to say that you feel good this particular morning? Or are you simply stating that it is a morning to be good on?" the grey wizard questioned.

"...All of them at once, I suppose." my father stated, with a long pause, "Can I help you?"

"That remains to be seen. I'm looking for someone to share in an adventure."

"An adventure?... Well, I don't imagine anyone west of Bree would have much interest in adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things. Make you late for dinner!" my father laughs. When Gandalf still doesn't leave, my father awkwardly goes to his mail, pretending to pay no attention to him. Finally, he clears his throat. "Good morning!" Heads for his front door.

"To think that I should have lived to be "good morninged" by Belladonna Took's son as if I were selling buttons at the door!" Gandalf stated with a huff. I watched as my father turned around to look at Gandalf.

"Beg your pardon?" my father questions.

"You've changed. And not entirely for the better, Bilbo Baggins." Gandalf stated, "Even when you had little Flora here."

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" my father asks.

"Well, you know my name although you don't remember I belong to it; I am Gandalf! And Gandalf means... me." Gandalf states triumphantly.

"Not Gandalf, the wandering wizard who made such excellent fireworks. Old Took use to have them on Mid-summer's Eve." my father chuckles, "No idea you were still in business."

"And where else should I be?" Gandalf asked offended, as my father continues to smoke his pipe. "All the same, I'm pleased to find you remember something about me, even if it's only my fireworks. Well, that's decided. It will be very good for you... and most amusing for me. I shall inform the others."

"Inform who? Wait, wha- no! No. No, wait. We do not want any adventures here, thank you- not today! Not-- I suggest you try over the Hill or across the Water. Good morning!" my father said startled, as he hurries inside and shuts the door. Leaving me alone with Gandalf.

"Meet me in Bree in an hour." Gandalf whispered to me after putting a mark on the door. I nodded and went inside the house. Once inside I went straight to my room and grabbed a few weapons and snicked out of the house through the window in my room. Hoping I will be back before my father finds out I am gone.

Bilbo's POV:

The doorbell rings later that night when Flora and I are about to eat dinner; I go to answer it and find a dwarf.

"Dwalin, at your service." the dwarf bows.

"Uh, Bilbo...Baggins. At yours." I state as the dwarf walks in, "Do we know each other?"

"No. Which way, laddie? Is it down here?" Dwalin asked.

"Is what down where?" I asked.