chapter seven.

(Y/n) ran into the boiler room, spotting a woman's pale right hand peeks up from the bars of the tank she is stuck in. She ran over, peeking inside just as Kunikida ran in.

His worried expression, clearly thinking the scream came from (Y/n) originally after she disappeared, turned quickly as he realized the dire situation the woman in the tank was in. The woman, who was being quickly submerged by the water, was dressed only in her underwear. Her left hand was handcuffed to a bar at the bottom of the tank, keeping her from getting out.

"The hell—?!" Kunikida exclaims, quickly noticing the situation.

"We have to get these off!" Dazai shouts as he runs into the room, him and Kunikida both trying to pry the bars off but only to find their attempts unsuccessful.

Their panic must've shut off their common sense, (Y/n) pursed her lips as she stepped back. She held up her right hand, yelling at the two, "Step back right now!"

Kunikida looked up from the bars with an expression that had a mix of irritation and confusion. He widened his eyes as the thoughts finally connected. He grabbed Dazai's arm, pulling him away from the bars.

"The Beauty of Water: Ryuji—I summon you!" (Y/n) then snapped her fingers, the sound echoing throughout the room.

The water, which had been flowing in fast from a pipe above the tank, started to feather out from its straight stream. It then pulled away, forming into a long dragon, its eyes glowing a bright blue that contrasted from its hydro-based body. The water flew out of the tank, compressing into Ryuji, the water dragon created from (Y/n)'s ability.

She then pointed to the pipe still pumping out water, but it went into Ryuji rather than further drowning the unfortunate woman. "Ryuji—coil and break."

Ryuji then wrapped his tail around the pipe, twisting it and eventually stopping the flow of water completely. With a couple words, the near-fatal situation ended.

While Kunikida and Dazai went to tend to the woman in the tank, (Y/n) turned to her watery companion. She reached up, running her hand along his wet, long nose in a petting motion.

"Good job," she quietly told the creature, turning back to the tank and walking over.

The woman coughed, Kunikida quickly pulling out a handkerchief and offering it to her. "Are you okay?"

"Someone tried to drown you... Did you see who it was?" Dazai asked her.

After a coughing fit, the woman answered, "I was... kidnapped. I was visiting Yokohama on business one day until I suddenly lost consciousness... Next thing I knew, I was here."

The trio exchanged a couple glances. (Y/n) then gestured for them to back up, "You might want to get back unless you want to get really wet." With this, she pulled up the hood to her raincoat.

Dazai looked to Kunikida, who looked rather calm and confident in her abilities. Although the two didn't do many cases together, let alone need to use (Y/n)'s special ability, Kunikida was quite confident in Ryuji and (Y/n). Whenever she busted out the water dragon, that meant that whoever was against them was eternally screwed.

"Ryuji—slice and free." She held up her hand before Ryuji could do anything, pointing down to the woman's handcuffs. "Try not to cut her hand off, got it?"

Ryuji nodded, understanding perfectly what she had requested. Ryuji brought his long tail up, quickly breaking off the cylinder triple locks from the bars. (Y/n) pushed open the bars while Ryuji carefully brought his tail down, slicing through the handcuffs and freeing the woman. She reached in, carefully taking the woman's trembling extended hand and bringing her up.