7. City Flower

TW ~ This chapter contains angst and mentions of blood ~ TW

George's POV

I open my eyes, but all I see is black. There's static in my ears, but I can distinguish a voice. It almost sounds as if I'm underwater. I try to move, but my body remains motionless on the cold surface I'm laying on. The black before my eyes starts disappearing slowly, and I can make out a figure leaning over me. The static slowly resides as my hearing returns. I feel two hands cupping my face, and a voice is asking me if I can hear them. I hum and nod slowly as I regain my senses.

My grip on reality starts coming back to me as my visions sharpens, and I see two concerned green eyes looking into mine.

"Note to self, don't leave George alone again," I hear him mumble, before he lets go of my face and wraps his arms around me, lifting me slightly from the ground.

Memories start coming back to me as I feel the sharp pain at my throat. It wasn't a dream. I stabbed someone. He almost killed me. It's not all a bit. This is my reality now. I'm gonna have to run from these people for the rest of my life. I'm going to be hunted down. For the rest of my life. For fucking what?

Being in Clay's arms again brings back the tears. I can't help but to break down right there and then, starting to sob into him.

"Hey, shhh no, it's okay, he's gone, you'll be just fine," Clay whispers to me, trying to soothe me. He lifts me up to sit down, but I let myself fall down against him right away, soaking his shoulder with tears.

Why did I go? Why did I leave my parents, my friends, the safety of my own damn home?

"He's prob-.. ably.. dead," I manage to bring out in hiccups.

"What, Tommy? No, you only hit his arm, he'll be fi-"

"No!" I scream out, interrupting Clay's sentence. I feel him tense up from me yelling. He grabs my shoulders and pushes me slightly off of him, finding my eyes again.

"Who's dead, George? Was someone else there?"

I shake my head, not knowing where to look.

"E-.. Eret," I stutter out, wiping my cheeks with my sleeve.

"Oh.. Right.." Clay sighs, as he pulls me closer to him again.

Eret was my Nick. His real name wasn't Eret, it was Alastair, but he didn't quite like it. His parents and teachers called him that still, but for friends I helped him choose his new name. He is the friend who left me behind. Who I came here to find. I barely stood a chance against that Hyena boy, I'd be dead at least a dozen times already if it wasn't for Clay constantly protecting and rescuing me. Eret probably didn't have his own Clay. He went here alone. Unprepared. With nobody to turn to.

"I want to go home," I yelp. The warmth I felt in my chest just yesterday has made place for anguish. I want to rip my heart out of my chest and squeeze it, I want to throw it on the ground and stomp on it. I want my parents. I want to lay in my bed, knowing I'll live an ordinary life the next day. I don't want to be afraid of thunder, or laughter in the street, or the dark. I don't want this.

I don't want this.

"I know, I know," Clay shushes, running his hand through my hair. "It's okay, let it all out."

"I can't do this," I whisper to him, leaning against him in his embrace, my body unable to move.

"Yes, you can. We'll find Eret. We'll even find a way to go back. I promise I'll get you back," he says, and I hear his voice break in the last sentence. And there we sit. He tries not to cry, but I know he wants to. He's trying to stay strong.