chapter 21

chapter 21

I stared blankly at the two closed caskets in front of me, not even paying attention to some family member of Beth speaking at the podium. I crossed one leg over the other and tilted my head to the side a little, looking at the picture in the middle of their caskets. I remember taking a walk with them on the beach and they were playing around in the water like little kids. It was the perfect photo opportunity. I heard someone sit down behind and I rolled my eyes at how they would show up late to a funeral. I turned around to see who it was and almost gasped out loud. It was Harry. I quickly turned back around, my thoughts going haywire in my mind.

"May God bless all of you." The preacher said, breaking me from my thoughts. Everyone around me stood up but I stayed glued to my seat. I didn't want to deal with the chaos outside of the church.

"You coming? We were gonna go get lunch." Juliana asked me, motioning to all the other people who worked at the diner and I shook my head.

"I'm fine. Thanks though." She gave me a pat on the shoulder before leaving with everyone else. I kept my eyes on my lap and sighed, knowing that I was finally alone.

"What am I gonna do without you guys?" I mumbled to myself, looking at the picture at the front of the chapel. I put my head in my hands and let out a long sigh, feeling someone sit down next to me. I knew exactly who it was by the smell of cologne.

"I'm not in the mood for any of your bullshit, Harry." I said and my voice wavered.

"How are you doing, Rose?" He asked and I looked over at him. His hair was so long that it touched his shoulders and he looked like he had matured a little more.

"Quit being so fucking polite. It's not like we've never met." I practically spat at him and stood up from my spot, tugging at my hair to make sure it was still clipped back. I began to make my way out of the chapel and I could feel Harry following me.

I climbed into my jeep, tugging my dress up with me, and closed the door behind me. Letting a breath fall from lips, I wiped the tears that had unconsciously fallen and grabbed my key from my small clutch. I tried to put it in the ignition, but my hands were shaking so much that I couldn't get it in. I tried again and tears built up in my eyes as I couldn't start my own fucking car. A hand softly clamped over mine, making me scream. I looked over in the passenger seat and through the tears, I saw the familiar curly haired boy.

"Get out of my car, Harry." I said and my voice cracked. I pulled my shaky hand from his grip.

"Rose, can we just talk?" He sighed and I shook my head.

"No, I don't want to talk to you. I don't have time for this, now please leave me alone." I raised my voice and almost cringed at how scratchy it sounded.

"Rose," Harry sighed but I just turned back to the face forwards.

"Get out, Harry." I said quietly and felt a tear fall down my cheek. I heard him let out a groan, making me turn to look at him.

"Why are so damn difficult?" He asked in an agitated tone.

"I don't know, why don't you go ask all my dead family?" I said sarcastically. "Or my best friends who didn't talk to me for two years and then decide to show up as of nothing changed. Ask the guy who broke my heart into a million pieces." I practically exploded. "You know what, if you won't get out of my car, I'll just walk home." I hopped out of my jeep, taking my clutch with me and making my way in the direction of the apartment.

"C'mon, you're being unreasonable." Harry called out after me and I froze in my spot, turning to face him.

"Unreasonable? You wanna see something unreasonable, look in a fucking mirror." I said and turned back around before walking away.