chapter 20

chapter 20

3 days later

I sighed to myself as somebody knocked on my door. I saved the document open on my computer that displayed the funeral programs and straightened my top. I got up and made my way to the door before unlocking it and swinging it open.

"Brentley?" I asked the man standing at my door. "What are you doing here?"

"Hey Rose." He smiled at me and scratched the back of his neck. "Did I catch you at a bad time?" I looked over my shoulder at all the funeral paperwork that I had to do and thought about my answer before looking back at him.

"Um kind of but it's fine." I gave him a small smile.

"I got your address from the station, if you're wondering." Brentley laughed. "I was just wondering if you wanted to take up my offer on that date."

"I just-," I sighed and tapped my fingers on the door. "Now is not really a good time."

"What about Friday?" He joked and I just stared blankly at him.

"I'm sorry." I sighed.

"It's alright. It was a long shot. I mean why would you go out with me? I'll just leave you alone." He turned around to leave and I leaned my head on the door frame watching him walk away.

"Brentley," I called out and he turned around. I bit my lip a little and straightened up. "Let me go get my shoes." A smile broke out on his face and I closed the door before running back to my room. I threw on some black vans and straightened out my khaki shorts and army green tank top. I checked my hair in the mirror and smiled at it. I got it cut really short a couple months ago and dyed it almost black. I grabbed my phone and bag from the entrance table before going out into the hallway. Brentley was leaning on the wall opposite the door and he straightened up when I closed the door behind me. I put my key in my bag and faced him with a small smile.

"Lunch?" He asked and I nodded before following him out of the apartment building.

////////////////////

"Are you okay?" Brentley asked and I looked up at him.

"You just seem kind of distracted." He commented and I shook my head.

"Oh sorry. I have a some stuff going on right now." I trailed off and he stopped walking before turing to look out at the ocean.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"You don't want to hear about my problems, trust me." I laughed and he smiled at me a little.

I thought back to the last few hours. We went to a small restaurant by the boardwalk and Brentley was alright. There were some awkward silences when we couldn't find anything to talk about but other than that, he is kind of cool. We are very different though, I have to admit, he likes surfing and I like skateboarding. He likes pop music and I like alternative.

"Would it be competely inapropriate for me to kiss you?" He asked and I turned my head to see him already looking at me. I thought about telling him no, but then thought, what the hell? It can't hurt.

"Go ahead." I smiled and he leaned down before pressing his lips to mine. It was awful. There was no spark or emotion. Just his little thin lips against mine. I pulled away a moment later and he smiled at me. I faked one and turned my attention to the ocean out in front of us.

"Oh shit, I have to be at work in an hour." I said checking my watch, knowing that I didn't have to be at the bar until 9. It was 3. I just really wanted to get out of here.

"Okay, I think I'll stay out here. See you later." He smiled at me and I just walked away. God, I can't stand him. I made my way out of the sand and wiped my feet off before slipping my vans back on. I walked the short distance to my apartment went to the front door. I froze in my spot seeing two people get out of a cab. The familiar British accents could be heard a mile away.

"Rose!" Eleanor turned around, spotting me still standing in the same spot. Louis turned around and shot me a smile as he pulled their suitcases out of the cab trunk. The car drove away and they both made their way towards me but I just turned around and walked up the stairs to my apartment. Two years. They don't talk to me for two years and then just show up unannounced here. I heard footsteps follow me and Eleanor call my name but I ignored them and headed for my apartment. Just as I had the door open, two tattooed arms wrapped around me from behind, picking me up and taking me into my apartment.

"Put me down Louis!" I yelled and tried to manage kicking him in the balls. The door closed behind us and Louis finally set me down. "What the hell?"

"Do I not get a hug?" Eleanor asked with a smile and I rolled my eyes, pushing my shirt down where it had risen up.

"You guys really have some nerve." I scoffed and they both furrowed their eyebrows. "I was your fucking best friend and you don't talk to me for two years! You didn't even tell me when you were getting married!"

"I'm sorry. A lot happened when we left here." Eleanor tried to excuse their lack of communication and I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Why are you guys even here?"

"We heard about Jim and Beth and wanted to come to see how you were doing." Louis spoke up and I glared at him.

"So now you care." I mumbled under my breath and looked over at my kitchen table that held all the funeral arrangements that had yet to finished.

"Rose," El sighed and I just kept my eyes on the floor.

"I have to finish some stuff." I said quietly before looking back at them. "You guys need to leave."

"Oh, I thought we could stay here for a few days." Louis trailed off.

"Well, I have a lot going right now. There's a hotel down the street. I'm sorry, but you guys can't stay here." I felt a lump in my throat and Eleanor sighed before muttering a 'let's go' to Louis. As they walked out the door I felt a tear fall down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away and sat down at my kitchen table to finish the planning.