ch 26

Anastasia's pov

Finally, back at school. Weird to say I missed it. Loren and Violet both caught a fever on the way home so they won't be at school.

I'm with the guys at the lunch table and Asher won't shut up about the next football game.

Since the incident between us, there has been an awkward tension. Just between us, not the rest of the group.

Even though Logan and Nate kind of-

Saw.

But Asher and I have been I am not sure. Weird.

We talk, like normal but you could tell we would both rather just stay quiet.

'I'm going to go to the Art room. See you guys later?''

I told them.

Obviously, the art room is not actually where I was going. I went to the river behind the school instead. Lunch is like an hour long so it didn't matter.

Softly humming to myself while walking there was peaceful. It was a cloudy day, it looked like it was about to rain actually. That is fun.

I called it.

It started pouring. Hard.

'Seriously mother nature? You couldn't wait like 30 more minutes to pee on earth?' I laugh at the fact that I was talking to clouds.

I had to run all the way back but I was already soaked.

'Art room huh?' Asher came up to me. I just half smile and nod.

'Here.' he pulled out a shirt from his locked since it was near the entrance.

'Thanks.'

So. Awkward.

Instead of dragging it out, I go to the bathroom and change into the new shirt. I'm too small for it. But an oversized shirt will do for now. Thanfully, I always bring an extra pair of bottom.

Sweatpants.

Of course.

Meredith appears. Hm.

My eyes land on hers through the mirror. As always, she was trying to start a fight. I had absolutely no time for this, I'm too drowsy right now. Plus, I'm soaked.

'Asher doesn't like you. He made out with me just last night. Also, he told me about your guys's little trip. Sheesh Anastasia, you sure get around.'

What the hell? Did Asher really tell her?

I smile in her face, 'It isn't like I like Asher anyway. You can have him. I also saw you sucking up Noah's face yesterday morning in the hallways. You sure do get around a lot Meredith.' I scoff and leave the bathroom.

The fact that I'm not surprised. Asher always fucks up. Honestly, I'm tired. I'm not having it.

I'm Anastasia fucking Smith. Not a toy.

'Hey-' Asher came up to me.

'Fuck you. Honestly. Fuck you.' I told him. You could tell it caught him off guard.

Meredith soon walks out after me and smirks at him.

Not caring, I turn around on my heels and walk away.

Humming to myself again, I bump into Logan and Nate.

'Hey Ana!' They say.

'Hey guys. I am leaving school early.' They say a few more words then I leave.

It's quite funny actually. How much I had to put up with him. As much as my heart aches for him, there was no way I'm letting anybody treat me like a second choice. If he thinks he can, he is mistaken.

I felt the cool wind hit me once I open the school doors.

We were almost at the end of school. So close to freedom. Only for two months though. Then, senior year. The year all of us find out who we are and where we want to go.

'Hey mom, I'm not going to be home till tonight is that okay?' I figured since I have no been to the river in a while, that it would be a nice place to sit and draw. Maybe think about things.

'Okay, thanks, mom.'

Authors note!
Play 'Arcade' by
Duncan Laurence
The slowed version.

It kind of feels like the end of a book. Like it is the end of something that was never truly there. It's weird to say but, I don't know. It feels empty. The world feels a little empty.

'Anastasia. Listen. Please don't do this. Please don't leave me again.' Asher's hand is rested on my shoulder. Out of breath, I assume he ran here.

I wanted him to stay. I wanted us to stay. But we can't and we both know that. 'You are nothing. You fuck up. You keep ruining it. It's you. It's all you. Get away from me.' My heart ached when the words came out of my mouth. Too much I couldn't even look over to look him in the eyes.

Slowly, his hand fell off. I could feel defeat in the air.

***

My head drifts towards the river water. The fish were swimming so freely. I wish that was me.

It truly was.

It truly is.

The end of something.

And the beginning

Of something new.

-------
that is the end of the book <3.
Don't worry, there will
be a second book.
thank you for reading 🖤