He Reigns on the Mountain - Chapter 10

Chapter 10

It was Friday night, the week before Christmas, and the first snow was threatening to fall on the mountain. Jamie invited Jess over for dinner. Over the past few months, he had learned that Italian food was something Jess loved and missed since there was no restaurants that served it on the mountain. The few times they went to town, Jamie would take Jess to get her Italian fix. Tonight, he had worked hard in the kitchen. He knew his way around, but nothing elaborate, so this was going to be a challenge. But, Jamie was always up for a good challenge.

He had the caesar salad already in the fridge, next to the tiramisu and the lasagna in the oven. And when he heard the knock at the door, he put the garlic bread in the oven as well.

Jamie opened the door with a smile. “You look beautiful.” He said as he leaned in and gave Jess on her cheek, next to her ear. She was dressed in jeans and although it was cold outside, she was in layers like Jamie had asked her to do. She took off her coat and outer sweater and she was wearing a lacy deep purple top that took Jamie’s breath away when he saw it. “Wow. Incredible.”

Jess smiled and said, “I guess I should be glad you are a minister.”

They kissed regularly now and enjoyed making out, but because of their beliefs and the fact that Jamie was the preacher, they had never gone to far. Jamie had always been a gentleman to her and never expected anything inappropriate. But, he had desires also. . . “But woman, I am also a man.” Jamie said with a grin. “Come to the table and eat before I do something that I shouldn’t!” Then he pulled her close and gave her a kiss that warmed her from the inside outside taking off the chill from outside.

“Easy now preacher.” Jess said with a giggle when they finally broke apart.

As they ate dinner, they talked. First they talked about the first half of the school year. This dinner was a celebration of the last day of school before Christmas break. Then, Jess brought up Jamie’s sermon. “Jamie, I really did love your sermon last Sunday. It really spoke to me and moved me in ways you can not imagine. But, there is something that you said that I can not wrap my head around.”

“OK?” Jamie said taking a bite of lasagna.

“I just have a hard time seeing God as my Heavenly Father and as someone who loves me and would want the best for me.”

“I can understand that. Your father was not a very loving and caring man towards you, everything was done for a purpose for him.”

“Yes, so it is hard to see God in a role that has only brought me heartache.” Jess said as she took another bite.

“Well, our Heavenly Father is perfect and he wants the best for us. The Bible says that He wants to give us the desires of our heart and that he delights in us. So, he wants what is best for us, even we we don’t know that ourselves. Unfortunately, your earthly father did not want that for you. He was not using God as an example of how to be a good Dad. But, the whole time, God was there, wanting and waiting for you to make the choice that you wanted Him to guide and direct you and to be a part of your life. God is a gentleman, he will not force himself on anyone, each person must make the choice who they serve. But once you totally submit to Christ, God the Father adopts you as his own.”

Jess nodded, “I understand that. It is just a difficult term for me to use.”

“I understand and respect that. But I think once you see other father figures who use a Godly example, then maybe you will understand it more. Just as long as you know God loves you and wants what is best for you. But, he also wants you to come to him and ask him for things and more importantly just spend time with him and humble yourself before him.” Jess nodded as she put the last bite of her lasagna in her mouth.

“OK!” Jamie said with a smile on his face. “We have desert, but I want to take you somewhere first. Is that OK?” Jamie had been planing this all week and although he was excited, he was a bit nervous. Jess nodded and they bundled up to go outside.

Jamie brought Bear around from the barn and Jess put her helmet on and climbed on behind him. She was accustomed to riding the all terrain vehicle over the past few months and she really enjoyed holding on to Jamie as they rode through the woods on the mountain. Within a few minutes, Jess knew exactly where they were heading and smiled. It had become her favorite place on the mountain.

As they approached the meadow, Jamie slowed down and parked Bear and they got off. He took Jess’ hand in his as they headed into the meadow.  He led her to a bench that he had carved by the creek and they sat down next to each other. As they sat down, they could see the snow flurries begin to fall in the meadow. Jamie thought the timing was perfect.

He took her hand and began singing, “You're my peace of mind in this crazy world.
You're everything I've tried to find, your love is a pearl. You're my Mona Lisa, you're my rainbow skies, and my only prayer is that you realize you'll always be beautiful in my eyes.” He reached up and cupped her cheek with his hand, and she closed her eyes and leaned in to his hand.

Jamie continued, “The world will turn and the seasons will change, and all the lessons we will learn will be beautiful and strange. We'll have our fill of tears, our share of sighs. And my only prayer is that you realize you'll always be beautiful in my eyes. You will always be beautiful in my eyes. And the passing years will show that you will always grow ever more beautiful in my eyes.”

Jamie had not sung for her. He had just started singing in church again, so this was more special to Jess than Jamie could ever imagine. “Oh, Jamie! That was beautiful.”

Jamie took both of Jess’ hands in his, “No, darlin’ you are. I just want to thank you for coming into my life, for bringing joy, hope and love back. And for giving me a song again. I love you more than you will ever know.” He bent down and knelt on one knee. “Jessica, I want to spend every day of my life and all eternity with you. Will you marry me?”

Jess had tears in her eyes, she nodded because words could not come out of her throat that was aching from the tears. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him.

He lowered his mouth to her ear and said, “You haven’t even seen the ring.”

“I don’t care. I love you and that is all that matters.” Jess said holding him tight.

“OK” He said and she heard a ring box snap shut, “I will put it away then.”

“Oh, OK! If you insist.” Jess said as she pulled away and wiped the tears from her eyes. Jamie sat down on the bench next to her and opened the box. It was exquisite. Jess could tell this was a ring that had been passed down several generations. It had a nice oval stone on the top, but the side sloped down to highlight the intricate scroll work. Throughout the scrolls tiny diamonds sparkled in just the right places. “Oh Jamie! It is beautiful!”

“This ring was my mother’s and before her my father’s mother. After the accident, I gave it to Aunt Dumpy because I never imagined I would want it again.” Jamie looked into her eyes, “Then you came into my life and I could not imagine your finger without it.” Jamie took it out of the box and slipped it on Jess’ finger finding a perfect fit. “Like it was made for your finger.” He lifted her hand and kissed it just above the ring. “My mother would be so happy to see it on your finger.”

“Jamie, I. . .” Jess took a deep breath, “I am so honored. I love you so much.” Jamie leaned over and pulled Jess close to him, he leaned in and kissed her. This kiss carried all the promises of their future life together, the love, the passion, the life they would live.