Chapter Twenty-Five

After storming away from Merlin, Arthur had hidden behind a long stone wall. From his spot, he had a clear view of the citadel which was located a little lower on the hill.

Avoiding people seemed to be the only way how he could have some time to arrange his thoughts. He realised he wasn't as furious as he had acted. He was more sad than angry. Ever since discovering the truth about Merlin, he had felt this depressing feeling within him. If Merlin hadn't felt safe enough to share his secrets, Arthur must have done something wrong.

Before Arthur had come to his current hiding place, he had watched how Merlin had sunk on the ground. Even though Arthur wanted to run back and comfort him, he didn't. Perhaps, he was being selfish but he had to figure out his feelings first.

Suddenly, the king remembered the drawings in the hideout. Andrew had come back and they all went to a big tent where they could hear what had happened. Before some knights collected the drawings away from the table, Arthur had seen a glimpse of them. They appeared to be drawings of a castle which most likely was Airasan. And in front of the castle had been few people and among them was a young boy with pitch-black hair.

It had to be a younger version of Merlin. Back then it would have made absolutely no sense but now it was all clear. And perchance, there had been more clues of the royal title but Arthur and the knights had missed them.

Arthur felt rather stupid. How had they missed seeing the way Merlin acted? The servant had been extraordinarily anxious and in his thoughts through the whole journey from Camelot to Airasan.

After all, he was beginning to understand Merlin. Being a prince must have been exhausting because of all the lies. And his magic had saved them from a lot of tense situations. Arthur had always thought that he had a guardian angel by his side because sometimes things seemed to work too well. Now it was clear that Merlin had been that person. He had protected them all and didn't even want any credit.

The king rose from his hiding place. It was time to go back and talk to Merlin but this time Arthur was truly trying to see Merlin's side of the situation. And most importantly, Arthur wasn't planning on shouting anymore.

Walking along the stone wall towards Merlin's champers he realised how late it must be. The sun was setting behind the forest surrounding the kingdom, making the evening darker and darker.

First, he checked if Merlin had gone back to the infirmary but he wasn't there.

Arthur found himself hoping that Merlin had instead gone to his champers. It wasn't his champers anymore. Keane had changed it to a guest room but Arthur assumed Merlin would make it his own again. It was one of the few places that Arthur had seen while Sirs Lancelot and Harry had been showing them around the castle. If the champers were empty, he wouldn't know where to look.

After a moment he arrived in front of the dormitory. He sighed and knocked on the door. Someone called him in but it wasn't Merlin's voice.

Pushing the door open he saw Lancelot.

"Hey," Arthur said, "have you seen Merlin?"

Lancelot made a quick bow before answering with furrowed eyebrows. "He's not at the infirmary?"

"No, not anymore because—," Arthur stopped mid-sentence. Maybe he shouldn't tell about their argument. "Because... because he wanted some air. So, do you know where he could have gone?"

A smile appeared on Lancelot's lips. "I think I know. There's this one place where he used to go almost every evening. I can take you there if you want."

"That would be great," Arthur thanked and followed Lancelot out of the champers.

"So, what is this place?" He asked after they had come out of the castle and were walking towards the forest.

"It's a place where Merlin liked to spent time watching the sunset. And now the sun is setting so I assume he is there," Lancelot explained.

"What he was like back then?"

"He was the kindest person I've ever met and still is," Lancelot said with a smile, "he spent time with the people in the citadel. I think he was more there than in the castle."

Arthur watched how Lancelot laughed. The person he was talking about sounded a lot like his version of Merlin.

"And what about Keane?" He asked unable to hide his curiosity.

Lancelot's smile faded before he answered: "He was... I guess he was always jealous of Merlin. Because he had wanted the power of dragonlord but it was Merlin who inherited it and that made him bitter."

They were now walking into the forest.

"Is it possible if I go to speak with Merlin in private?" Arthur asked to hope that Lancelot would understand.

"Of course, I'll head back to the castle, " he said and before leaving he smiled again and added, "tell Merlin that he needs to visit the infirmary and stay there until he has gotten permission to leave."

With a smile Arthur also continued his way.