Chapter 14 - Mates Don't Exist!

**Anika’s P.O.V**

“You cannot be serious!” I yelled, not even noticing the crowd we were gathering on the lower deck.

“I'm being honest; now quieten your voice before the crew get suspicious.” He hissed at me, his dark eyes glancing at me and his lips were press into a stern, thin line.

“So they should be! They are his crew, and for god knows how long they have been ruled over by him yet they don’t know his secrets! What kind of bond is that!?” I yelled again, gesturing to the men with a shaky hand, my jaw gritted and my eyes were sending daggers right into Scori’s now aggressive looking ones.

“Anika, I'm warning you to lower your voice.” He growled. I could see his white teeth flashing as he spat the words out one by one.

I swallowed to cautionary lump in my throat before sending another glare at him.

“How does the king not know about this? That his own son has been running from his for, uh, a long time.” I whispered, my eyes quickly glimpsing at the crowd, which was still gathering and gawking at us like we were a zoo attraction.

“He was betrayed, I do not know by who but it was someone that was close to him. Someone planted discriminating evidence against the queen, making it blatantly obvious she was cheating and pregnant with another man’s child, when it was the king’s…” Scori muttered, but I still heard him clearly. Probably due to the fact I was so enthralled in the truth behind the Captain’s past that I was leaning in close enough that if I blinked, my eyelashes would scrape against Scori’s cheek.

“Does… Does the Captain know?” I mumbled, ignoring any bothersome stares from the crew and waited patiently for Scori to answer, he was too busy focusing on steering the ship in the right direction.

“Scori?” I snapped, desperately in need of an answer.

I could hardly believe the story he had told me at first, the Captain is heir to the throne.

His mother never cheated, she was framed and had to run away from the infuriated king before he managed to kill the foetus in her belly, if he had, he would have killed any chance of having an heir.

“No, I think it should stay that way until the right time-“

“Right time!? Scori he needs to know. Now!” I hissed, the disbelief in my voice mixing with my heated tone.

“That is not a wise idea. What if he snaps? Goes on a rampage and kills every soul on this ship? And if he kills you, he kills his mate; if he kills his mate he will wind up being too damn depressed to recruit and attempt to murder the king!” His voice knocked up a few decibels and we had a few more members of the crowd start to mutter about what on earth we could be arguing about in such a mysterious manner.

Granted we didn’t look like the most trustworthy people at this very minute, leaning in close enough to feel each other’s breath on our faces and having a heated argument within whispers and hisses.

“For the sixth time I am not his mate! You have got to be mistaken, because no way am I destined to be with a descendant of Satan, a demon!” I couldn’t help but yell at Scori, his guess about me and the Captain being destined to be together was… insane! Preposterous! Unbelievable and most of all a load of bollocks!

Mates don’t even exist; you can choose to fall in love with anyone you want.

Can’t you…? I have to stop doubting my every thought! Just because this whole kidnapping sham is screwing with my life doesn’t mean I should let it affect my mind.

“Look, I'm done arguing with you. Like it or not, you are meant to be with the Captain, it is no coincidence that you were the one to be abducted that night, and by no means is it coincidental that you have already created such strong feelings for him.” He said so calmly, it was as if he was just chatting about the weather rather than a relationship between a demon and a human, he abducted.