Chapter 15 - Begging the Cold-Hearted.

**Anika’s P.O.V**

I stood my ground from the higher deck, watching the crowd of men chugging down ale and smoking fat cigars that puffed dark smoke around the band of men, their fingers strumming the instruments expertly.

The music was joyful and cheerful, the opposite of how I felt.

I knew the Captain didn’t care for my presence much, but to not care when I deny any romantic interest in him and he does not seem affected in any way?

I peered across the main deck, spotting his slouching figure leaning on the rails, watching the men dance merrily from under his black leather, tri-cornered hat, a white and speckled brown feather pointing out from the side. The golden lace embroidery that decorated the edges of rough leather gave him a regal yet expensive aura, and I could not help myself but feel drawn to him.

Even I know that he is evil, however well he tries to hide it around me, but then again, even for an evil creature from the depths of hell… he is certainly attractive.

I could not stop my feet from edging slightly towards him, the creak of the floorboards were miniscule compared to the drums, guitars and flutes being plucked and thrummed continuously.

The beat seemed to match the speed of my steps. My feet padded against the rough floorboards, all the way to the top of the stairs, down the steps until I was merely a few feet away from the Captain.

All rational thinking seemed to be thrown out the window at this point, the only thing on my mind was him and how close I could get to him.

His dark eyes peered at me from under his tri-cornered hat, his gaze seemed to linger on my face, and then slowly make its way down my body shamelessly.

I most certainly did not have much to offer in the looks department, and I knew that but something about him just seemed too irresistible to not risk the chance of being rejected, publicly.

“Good evening,” His voice was deep and solid, as if he were desperately holding back any emotions that could seep into his monotone voice.

“May I have this dance?” I slipped a courteous smile on to my lips as I held my hand out to him.

For a small moment, it was almost unnoticeable but I still caught a glimpse of excitement in his eyes.

“Indeed.” I knew he was trying to hide his smile but unfortunately for him I must have looked amusing enough for him to smile, however small it was, he still smiled… at me.

An eruption of butterflies swarming in my gut blossomed from nowhere as he took my hand in his.

His skin was ice-cold, matching his snow-like complexion. It was almost cliché the way I was giving in to myself, I knew what he was and I knew the future between us would be twisted and frustratingly weird, maybe even dangerous, but yet here I was.

We shuffled through the thick crowd of men and stood in the centre of the gawking men.

And out the corner of my eye, I was met with an approving smile, Scori of course but I could not defy the impulse to quickly stick my tongue out at him.

The Captain’s chilled hand gripped my waist and lifted my chin to look at him, my arms slowly enclosed around his neck and our feet began to rhythmically move backward, forward, side-to-side and repeated.

The music had slowed down to steady pace and it was easier to admire the Captain, monster or not he was indeed an incredible male specimen.

My eyes never wavered from his longing gaze, not through each beat of the song, not when more people began to dance, I almost did not notice the figure moving towards us. He was dancing, gripping his partner as if to drag her over to me and the Captain. At the moment the strange figure reached us the beat was changed to a fast-paced, country beat.