Chapter 9

**Anika’s P.O.V**

We stood there, staring at each other; it seemed like hours before one of us dared to blink.

I didn’t know whether to thank him or to run off screaming.

He had just violently murdered a bloke right in front of me, in fact Cal still lay on the floor, he had stopped gurgling and choking long ago and now he was just a  crumpled, bloody mess on the ground, with wide, open eyes that stared creepily at the soles of my feet.

It wasn’t until Scori jogged into the alley, “I found you! Where were you? I've been worried sick, Anika!” That we tore our eyes away from each other.

“I-“I began to explain but was cut off by the Captain.

“I had to deal with an issue,” He glanced down at the mangled corpse that stained the dirt, covered alley way with glistening, crimson blood, “Let’s just stay at an Inn tonight, I can’t make another night having to deal with-” He stopped himself before he completed his sentence, this is ridiculous, once you start saying something you should finish it! He quickly glanced up at me, and then turned back to Scori, “Just take her to an Inn.” He ordered, walking past while dropping a small, fabric sack in Scori’s hand.

Scori clutched the sack tightly, gesturing me to follow, “You alright, Anika?” He asked with a thick, worried tone lining his voice.

“Y-Yeah…” I muttered, walking out the alley, a cold shiver ran down my whole body when I past Cal… I didn’t dare look at his bloodied corpse, I knew it would haunt my sleep for the rest of my life, however long that may be, considering I'm sharing a cabin with a murderous, blood-thirsty vampire.

“What happened?” Scori asked, I could tell he was still worried, probably due to the fact I hadn’t looked at him in the eye since we started walking to an Inn Scori recommended, but mental images of Cal’s vital organs sprawled out of the dirt just gave me a wakeup call, I might be falling for a psychopathic, blood-thirsty, cold-hearted vampire.

That surprised me, the fact that I'm actually admitting to feeling… something for him, but for also realising that he was just a demon from hell, there's no humanity in him, no sympathy or mercy evident in his black, hollow soul, if he even has one, that is.

Scori suddenly stopped, stepping in front of me and grasping my shoulders with a tense grip.

“Anika. You either tell me now or I will have to ask the Captain.” He threatened, I honestly never wanted to see that murdering demon ever again, but that was highly unlikely to happen since we live on a ship together, the only way to get away from each would be to swim…

“That won’t be necessary, Scori. Go back to the pub; enjoy your night of freedom. I’ll deal with Anika.” I heard the Captains deep, husky behind me, and then an ice cold hand rested on my shoulder, completely freezing me, his luke-warm breath brushed against the nape of my neck.

I stood there, still as a statue until he came to grab my hand and start to literally drag me towards a nearby Inn. We entered the shabby, wooden establishment, swinging the door open and almost making it fly off its hinges.