21 | A Life to Tell

I trailed behind Ms. Haroldson in silence, unable to fathom why the headmaster would want me. I mean, I knew that he was an Immortal because Georgie told me he was, but why would he want me now? Maybe he knew about someone coming for me-maybe he knew about Victoria.

Well, that was good since I really was kind of suspicious (and partly terrified) of the girl. I truly believed that she was Anne...not that Mr. Corsemithe would know about my past life with Anne, exactly, but who knew? Maybe he did.

I gave a little exhale through my nostrils, silently walking a few paces behind my terrifying math teacher. I furrowed my brows. Did she know some students here were Daevas? Was she an Immortal like the headmaster? Or maybe she was just ordered by Mr. Corsemithe to call me; nothing more.

When we reached a gigantic oak door, Ms. Haroldson faced me. She was in her usual mood so I wouldn't ask her why the headmaster wanted me. I'd never even seen her smile, for heaven's sake.

"Go inside, Miss D'Onofrio. I have been instructed to simply escort you here, nothing more," she clipped. As soon as she gave a nod to the guards on each side, she turned on her heels and went back to her classroom. I entered the room with my head cast down onto the floor.

"You called for me, Mr. Corsemithe?"

"You can look up, my dear," I heard a familiar baritone voice say gently. My head quickly snapped up, seeing my father (my real father) sitting at the headmaster's large cherry wood desk. His hands were linked together as if he'd been expecting me for many hours. I saw Mr. Corsemithe standing behind him, while there were very good-looking people sitting in front of the fireplace, looking at me expectantly with a smile on their faces.

"I think this is a rather bad time..." I began, backing away slightly to the door behind me.

"Nonsense." Matteo waved a hand, gesturing for me to stop. "Indeed, I called for you, so you needn't get back outside again."

"But-" I glanced at the two young people sitting beneath the fire on my left.

He saw where my gaze went and smiled.

"Don't mind them. They are here to meet you." Matteo looked at the people and gestured toward me. "Won't you two kindly stand up and meet my daughter?" I winced at the way he affectionately called me his daughter. I still wasn't used to it. I was still confused and hurt about the life I was now beginning to live with. God knew how many painful memories I had through the hundreds of years I'd lived.

I could tell Matteo read my mind because he only gave me an apologetic smile. I looked away, unable to meet his eyes that I clearly inherited from him.

The young woman and the boy stood up, coming near me. They looked like a couple, seeing how the girl's hand looped around the guy's elbow affectionately. She had crow-black hair that shined into a dark brown when in the light. Her almond eyes were a strange yet beautiful mahogany, with a long and straight nose, and full, rose-petal lips. Her delicately winged eyebrows rose as she saw me speculating her. She snorted a laugh, displaying such adorable dimples on each cheek. She looked like some glamorous girl from Spain, to be honest. I turned my gaze on the young man beside her. He had an olive complexion, with hair the same shade as his beau's. He had eyes that were a soft brown, his nose aquiline. His jaw was firm and when he smiled, everything was charming, as what was happening now. He had a dot on his chin that looked adorable on him like the dimples on his girlfriend's cheeks. He was about six-foot-two, while the girl was about five-foot-eight.

The girl was a student here, I knew, because she was wearing the school uniform. But why hadn't I seen here go out and about in the halls or the classrooms? The boy, on the other hand, was wearing a white polo shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, black slacks, and shiny black leather shoes.