12 | Too Much

January 28, 1521

Sussex, England

It has been several days since New Year's Eve and life cannot be any better for me and my husband, George. This morning, I lie in his arms, the green curtains of our large canopied bed shielding us. Life has been bliss for the both of us, and we are hoping for a child. George says that whether the babe will be a boy or a girl, it does not matter to him, as long us we have children to love and to take care of. I felt so loved, 'twas too much that my heart will burst because of it.

"Don't you think we had enough of this for today, my love?" I ask sleepily. "I have not slept because of your wandering hands since last night."

He gives his low, seductive laugh that I love, and says huskily, "What's better than a little romance once in a while?"

"Rmance 'once in a while' for you is most of the time for me." I pull myself up on my elbows and look into his dark beautiful eyes. "'Tis magical, I know --"

"Magical?" George arches a brow and gives me an amused lopsided grin on his face.

I ignore him because if I go with the flow, I will not be able to talk more but laugh. "'Tis magical," I repeat again, emphasizing the word, "but are you not exhausted from...from romancing?"

He snakes an arm around my tiny waist and buries his face in my neck. I close my eyes. "'Tis not exhausting when it comes to you, my sweetheart. Say, one more little round?" he jests. Though I think he is not jesting at all with his question.

Just feeling the heat of his body and his kisses on my neck makes me want to say yes again, but a knock comes from the door, and George sighs.

"Enter!" he barks, positively irritated from his task of seducing me.

George pulls the covers up to my neck to conceal my body and I cannot help but smile at his caring gesture -- not to mention possessive; because surely the person who knocked was a man. We can sense it.

George stands up from the bed, stark-naked in the sight of his steward who looks shocked at first, but then maintains his composure. He is holding a letter with a deep purple seal that has a device on it of two swords in between a letter B. I immediately brighten up but do not dare stand from where I am on. The steward gives the letter to my husband and then he gets his lordship's fine robe. As soon as George is wearing the fine fabric, he thanks the steward and gestures for him to leave us be.

He breaks the delicate seal and reads it through. For a moment, I see his shoulders tense and his body stiffen where he is standing with his back to me.

"What is it?" I query, curious and concerned for him all at once.

With that, he straightens, squares his shoulders and turns around to walk toward me, a charming smile on his handsome face. He sits on the bed beside me and kisses me lightly on the forehead and then more deeply on the lips. He hands me the letter.

Cousin George,

It has been such a long time since we have seen each other. More than two months and a half, in my estimation. As much as I want to see you, and missing my dearest sister-in-law, 'tis my wife Anne who is missing Venise terribly. She is strong and carefree as she always is, but she cannot stand not seeing your wife for so long. She is begging me to ask you about staying in our home to be with Venise for a week only -- with my permission, of course -- just to spend time with my wife. Could that be arranged?

Cousin, for she will not stop beseeching me about going there. 'Tis only a few miles away and Anne will be there in a few days time. As much as I do not want my wife to leave me and the castle, she needs her sister, and I cannot help but agree. 'Tis only a week, George. I promise to fetch her myself after that. Say my good greetings to thy dear wife. I wish you well.