Chapter Five

A/N I decided to go ahead and do a second- much shorter- update. I figured it was pretty fair considering I havent updated for a long time. ENJOY!

"Marvelous!" Monsieur Firmin exclaimed, "Magnificent!" All the audience applauded, however the loudest seemed to be Florence, Meg Giry's number one fan. And this fact brought a bit of unwanted attention to her suddenly.

"Who's child did you say she was?"Monsieur Andre asked, looking over little Florence.

"A coachman's daughter, very close friend," Madame Giry lied quickly, having known the question would eventually come up.

"A coachman?" Monsieur Andre kept on.

"Yes, a Monsieur Erik de Phant," Madame Giry went on, knowing it was completely safe to use the Phantom's real name as no one but herself and perhaps Florence knew it, "Lovely fellow. Very busy though, not much time for himself or his little girl. He has no wife." Monsieur Andre nodded, but one more question was playing on his mind and Madame Giry knew exactly what it was. And, up in box five, Erik was anticipating it, ready to leap into custody's arms if it meant the safety of his child.

"Why does she wear a mask, Madame?" Monsieur Andre finally asked, his question drawing the attention of the other two messieurs who hadn't really been paying attention to Florence until that point.

"Well, Monsieur," Madame Giry began, "if you must know, there was an accident. A fire, an awful fire, somehow started in the de Phant home when Florence was only a mere baby. Monsieur de Phant was not home; just his wife and Florence were in the house when it sprung about. Killed Florence's mother, a true tragedy as she was a marvelous woman. Some brave soul, however, was able to somehow save little Florence. It is a miracle she survived, messieurs, but there was some damage to her face and she is today very self conscious of it." The messieurs all nodded, seeming pleased with the explanation.

"I am very sorry to you, young Florence," Monsieur Firmin said solemnly, before turning to Meg and smiling, "But I am sure you will be happy to hear we have found our new lead for the next opera! Mademoiselle Meg Giry!" Meg's eyes grew wide.

"Monsieur, do you mean it?!" she almost screamed, so excited she was shaking. She could not imagine it, herself a singer! A singer for the Opera Populaire. Everyone seemed quite pleased. Even the now very confused Florence wore a smile as her mind bounded onto something she had never thought about- her mother. And in box five, Erik knew that the questions of Christine would be coming soon. At least Madame Giry had come up with a good cause of death, though... A fire, no body to bury, no grave. Perhaps, if Florence wanted, Erik could take her to see where her grandfather rested for he believed he remembered the spot.

"Yes Mademoiselle," Monsieur Firmin confirmed with a nod. Meg grinned broadly, feeling the happiest she had ever been. Looking up, she imagined what it might be like if the audience was full, and during her scanning she saw him. Right there in box five was the Phantom of the Opera, watching her. She saw him nod, perhaps in approval, then he disappeared into the shadows and in that instant, Meg became even happier.