Chapter Seventeen

Florence was utterly terrified for her father's return. Meg had left some time ago, leaving Florence to stay curled and hidden under her father's desk as the candles slowly flickered out as no one relit them. The dark made the lair ominous and it frightened Florence so, she began crying once more, closing her eyes tightly as she did. Why had she gone to see Olivier? Why had she even gone through the tunnel leading to the stable? She should've known trouble was to follow... No, she had known that trouble was to follow. And yet she had risked it, the limited freedom her father had granted her, and she lost it. She lost everything. Her father would never again trust her as he had; she had ruined that and smudged her reputation in his eyes.

An hour passed, a whole dragging and painful hour. And then there was the squeak of iron bars opening to let someone in. Florence's eyes were closed tight as footsteps drew near. They stopped a little ways away, and then someone clear their throat. Florence peeked through one eye, but closed it back when she saw her father; she was very afraid.

"Florence," Erik said calmly, frowning at his daughter's obvious fear, "darling, please come out; I will not hurt you, I promise." Florence slowly opened her eyes, and looked at her father for a moment. "I only wish to speak with you, child," Erik assured, stepping away from the desk. Florence hesitated a moment, but then she climbed out from under her father's desk. The man had never lied to her, so she saw no reason to continue hiding when he said he would not hurt her.

When she was standing, Erik turned and walked to Florence's room, his daughter following behind him. Both silent. Erik sat on the large swan bed, and beckoned Florence to sit at his side.

"I'm sorry, Papa," Florence whispered as she took her seat. Erik glanced to her and shook his head.

"I do not believe you are sorry for this, Florence," he told her truthfully, "You are not sorry you went to see that boy. No, you are only sorry you got caught..." Florence hung her head. He was right on the dot, as she was not sorry for seeing Olivier. Not one bit.

"Papa, I-"

"Florence, do you know why we stay hidden?" Erik cut his daughter off, "I believe I told you once when you were young.. Do you remember?"

"No, Papa, I do not remember," Florence responded softly, looking to her father. Erik returned her gaze, and gave his daughter a sad smile.

"My dearest, it is not because I want you hidden from the world; I certainly do not," Erik said, knowing it was a lie.. He did want his daughter hidden from the world; he wanted to keep her for himself because she was his only child, his little girl. Erik continued, "Darling, the reason I must keep you in here is because the world is a cruel place. You are too delicate to face it, child. People up there in the real world are rude and do not accept people like us."

"But Papa, Olivier accepted me," Florence told her father softly, "He spoke to me, and-"

"He thought you were a ghost," Erik interjected, clenching his fists and talking through gritted teeth, "He is the reason you are confined to the lair from now on, Florence, his and your own for going to him! He is a worthless fop, Florence! One who uses women and does nothing else; I do not want you to speak of him again, do you understand me?" Florence frowned, her eyes watering at her father's rising voice.

"But, Papa, I-"

"Will not be leaving this place, will not be venturing through the tunnels, will not be seeing that fop, and will not be speaking of him either," Erik snapped, standing from the bed and grasping Florence's jaw in his hand, "Do you understand me, child?"

Florence lip trembled, a tear slipping down her cheek as she nodded. Erik watched her angrily for a moment, his eyes burning with rage. But then, that fire died and Erik reclaimed his calm demeanor. Sighing, he released Florence.

"I am sorry, child," he apologized, "But you must not test my temper, for today it is on a short fuse. It has been a long day for myself... I believe I will be going to see Meg." With that, he turned his back to his child, and walked back to one of the barred passages. Lifting a key attached to a chain round his neck, he opened the bars and stepped through. The bars slowly shut behind him, and then there was a click that told Florence she was alone. And with that thought, she wept.

She was trapped in her own home, she had no freedom, and she would never see Olivier again...

__________________________________________________________

A/N: Okay Chapter Seventeen! Woot! After this, get ready for a possible time hop! As stated, it will be a long time before Florence is released into the world~ but I will give you a taste of her trapped life before we jump towards the future, do not fret! 

So what do you think of it? Is Erik a bit possessive of his daughter? (yes) So tell me your thoughts! I love to know them! 

~*~ Nerdy ~*~

{ ~*~    <----it looks like a little flower >.< }