Sixteen

M E G A N

I was so intrigued by the bedtime story I was reading to Steven. I kept telling myself that it was just a children's bedtime story, but it was so interesting! I really had to get this book. I heard quiet snoring. I looked at Steven who was fast asleep. He looked so peaceful. I gave him a kiss on his cheek, turned the lights off and headed downstairs. Life was so difficult for me but I was taking one day at a time. When I got downstairs, I heard the sound of a phone ringing. I quickly located the sound and looked at the number of the person who was calling. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my dad's number on the phone. My heart jumped. Could Dad be alive? I wondered. With trembling hands, I picked up the call. I heard the voice and was disappointed that it wasn't my Dad.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hello", a male voice replied.

"Please is this Megan Freeman on the line?" the voice asked me.

"Yes, please", I replied.

"Please, this is Dr. Covey. I'm calling from the Brockwood Community Hospital and your dad's here with me. I can't really tell you the details over the phone so can you please come over here?"

"Sure", I said and hang up.

I said a silent prayer to God asking him to help my dad and quickly ran to my mum's room and told her what I had just heard. She told me to stay behind while she went to the hospital to visit Dad. I was tempted to protest but remembering the argument we had had, I held back. Soon enough, Mum set off and I was left alone. I was glad that Dad was found and everything, but he was in the hospital! I mean, anything could happen. I kept pushing away negative thoughts from my head and tried my possible best to fall asleep.

The next morning, I did my morning things. I remembered everything that had happened. I was eager to see Mum to hear recent news from her. I found her in her bedroom. lying on her bed. She seemed to be asleep. Just as I was turning to leave, Mum called me. The next morning, I did my morning things. I remembered everything that had happened. I was eager to see Mum to hear recent news from her. I found her in her bedroom. lying on her bed. She seemed to be asleep. Just as I was turning to leave, Mum called me.

"Megan, please come here", Mum said and I walked closer to bed.

"Can you please get Steven ready? We're going to visit Dad at the hospital".

"Oh.. is he okay?" I asked curiously.

"Well, the doctors said he's responding to treatment so that's a good sign", Mum replied.

"Yeah", I said.

I was so thankful that Dad was doing well. I hurriedly got Steven ready and soon enough, we were ready to start the journey to the Brockwood Community Hospital. Brockwood Community Hospital was quite big. The walls were painted with a light shade of blue. Flowers decorated the compound. A few cars were parked in the parking lot considering how early it was. When we got inside, Mum walked straight to the Male Ward where Dad was admitted. Dad lay on the bed and I noticed that his head and foot were bandaged. It looked really horrible. A nurse came in to check on Dad. There was an awkward silence.

"So, what happened?" I asked no one in particular.

"Your dad had a car accident. He was rushed to the hospital just in time. He might have died if he wasn't rushed here early enough", the nurse informed me.

I looked at Dad and went closer to him. I saw his face more closely. It looked scratched and his nose was swollen. His eyes had black spots around them.

"Megan, is that you?" Dad asked feebly.

"Yes, Dad", I replied.

"Oh, Megan, I've missed you so much", Dad said, trying to get up but failing.

"So have I Dad, but I don't think you're supposed to get up", I said, hearing the beeping of a machine I did not recognize a few metres away. A little while later, the beeping stopped.

"Where's Steven?" Dad asked me, looking round.

I pointed to Steven who was curiously examining some drugs the nurse had left on the table. I called out his name and he came running to Dad's bedside. Dad began asking Steven all sorts of questions about school and home. Mum was chatting with the nurse about Dad's health condition, I guessed.I sat down on a sofa and looked around the room. The walls were painted in a light shade of blue. a vase of flowers was placed on a table in the centre of the room. On this table were a couple of magazines and newspapers. A television remote control was also placed on this table. I had not noticed a television in the room when I first walked into the room. I looked around and saw it placed in front of Dad's bed. The machine I did not recognise was connected to some parts of Dad's body through some wires. On a table next to Dad's bed were some drugs the nurse had brought in with her. There was a drip-feed hanging on the top of Dad's bed.

Steven looked bored as he started playing with the wires which were connected to Dad. I noticed this and tried to make him stop not doing that, not wanting to cause any alarm. The wires connected to Dad's body were very thin and so I did not notice them when I first entered the room. I moved closer to Dad who started asking me questions about school and home. I told him as much as I could within the period of time I had left. The nurse signaled to me tha0t visiting time was almost over. I had to ask Dad a question before I would leave.

"When will you be discharged?" I asked Dad.

"I don't really know but I pray it will be very soon", Dad answered.

I nodded and gave Dad a kiss on his cheek.

"Get well soon, okay", I said and waved to Dad.

When we left the ward, I thought Mum would come outside with me and Steven but I was wrong. She stopped when we reached the exit door. I looked at her questioningly.

"I need to speak with the doctor", Mum explained.

She shoved a $10 note and the keys to the front door before hurrying off. I sighed. I looked at Steven. He looked tired and hungry. i couldn't blame him. we had spent close to two hours in the hospital. I carried him on my hip and went to the taxi rank close to the hospital and took a taxi home. As we sat in the taxi, thoughts ravaged my mind. I was hopeful that Dad would recover from his injuries but i was more worried about what would happen after that. Would Dad get fired? If he did, how easily could he get anther job? If he continued his current job, would another accident occur? I tried pushing these negative thoughts out of my mind but they kept coming back. Then I remembered 1 Peter 5 : 7.

1 Peter 5 : 7

Give all your worries to him, because he cares for you.

I decided to just place everything in God's hands and trust everything would work out everything for good. When we arrived, after paying the taxi driver, I headed towards the porch. The sight I saw amazed me.