Twelve

M E G A N

  I couldn't believe that the Awards Night had come on so soon! I was really hoping that somehow, someway, Steven and my mother would make it. I really couldn't believe that Rachel was so excited about the Awards Night. Some weeks later, she wouldn't have cared about any of those things. She seemed so happy and content. But I knew that wouldn't make her permanently happy. Only God's love could make her permanently happy. This would be my last opportunity to ever talk to Rachel. And I had to do this. I paced back and forth, trying to overcome my nervousness. It wasn't the first time I would ever witness to anyone. But this was Rachel. Rachel! Rachel Bradstone, the most popular girl in school. Well, if God had told me to tell her about God's love, that's just what I had to do.

So, Father I will place this in your hands. Please give me the right words to say to Rachel and show her Your love through me. I silently prayed as I made my way into the large auditorium. The enormous was filled with lots of people.I struggled to find a suitable place to sit. This was very surprising, because on previous Award Nights, there weren't this many people present. With all I had experienced in the past weeks, this was a different year. A very different year. I smoothed my dress, suddenly becoming aware of the crowd that had gathered in the auditorium. I hated crowds and didn't feel comfortable speaking to a large group of people.

The ceremony started with an opening prayer. After the various groups had performed, the head girl, Maria Heffley stood on the podium to announce the winners of the different awards. Names were called until Maria said, "And the Excellence Award goes to..... Megan Freeman!"

Everyone turned to look at me as my way to the podium. My hands shook as Maria handed me the award, a model of a graduant. I looked at the thousands of people seated on the bleachers. I cleared my throat as I started to make my speech.

"Well, um..first of all, I would like to thank God for this award and all those who were involved in helping me get this award. I really wasn't expecting this. Thank you."

After I gave my small speech, I made my way back to my seat. After a few hours Awards Night was finally over. Everybody started filing out of the auditorium. I started making my way towards Bunk4A. I heard someone call out my name and I turned to see Mom holding Steven by his hand. Adrenaline rushed through me as I rushed towards them. I held Steven in my arms and twirled him around, excited to see him. My assumption was right! This year was definitely a different year. Mom and Steven never ever came to the Awards Night and here they were.

"Hey, Mum. I did't expect you here", I said.

"Neither did I. I arrived at the bakery like 15 minutes early, like I always do. My boss told me I work too much and he gave me the day off. So I just took the opportunity to visit you", Mum explained.

"I can't believe it! I'm just so happy to see both of you".

"I'm happy to see you too. I see you got an award. I'm so proud of my baby girl".

"Mom! I wasn't expecting it", I said, slightly irritated at my Mom.

"It doesn't matter, honey. I'm still proud of you. Now let's go get something to eat".

   We headed towards the food stands to get something to eat. I was still amazed at the number of people who showed up. I spotted Rachel standing with Danie and Leah, I guess. What were they doing here? Our eyes met and immediately butterflies started their routine in my tummy. I was so nervous! Mum seemed a bit nervous or maybe I was just hallucinating.

"Honey, I need to talk to you", Mom told me right after we finished eating.

"Okay", I said, feeling a bit anxious. Mum rarely had that serious tone in her voice like she did now.