Eleven

R A C H E L

I've never been able to understand Megan but this was way beyond me. Megan's being nice to me even though I am really mean to her. I couldn't believe she had forgiven me. I mean, it's not like I even deserve to be forgiven. I had been terrible to Megan, causing her to trip and fall. But Megan never once yelled or screamed at me. It was just as if she was putting up with me. 

☘☘☘☘

Granny had finally sent for me. I was excited. Now, I could bring out all my complains and tell her why I wanted to leave camp. Once I was inside Granny's small office, I couldn't complain about anything, like I had wanted to. It was really strange. The only thing I could think of was to nominate Megan for the Excellence Award. Granny raised her eyebrows at me. I took the seat across from her, ready to speak.

"Hey, Granny. I just want to talk to you about something", I said.

"Wait, let me guess what it is. You hate this place and you already want to leave", Granny said with a twinkle in her eyes.

"Well--not exactly. I was going to say that, but I changed my mind", I told Granny, wondering how in the world she could have guessed what was going through my mind. Oh well, probably she can read my mind.

"If you have changed your mind, then what do you want to tell me?"

"Well, you see. An announcement was made that anyone who wanted to nominate someone for the Excellence Award could do that. I want to nominate Megan". There. I had let it all out.

"Wasn't she the person you had a fight with earlier?"

"Yeah, she was. But I want to make it up to her".

"And?"

"I need help".

"Rachel, it isn't very difficult. You could just start some campaign of some sort, telling people to vote for Megan. She really deserves it".

"Yeah, but I want it to be a secret and I kinda need your approval".

"You have my approval, Rachel. Go for it!" Granny tapped my shoulder as a sign of encouragement, I guess and I left her office.

When I left Granny's office, the first person I thought of looking for was Dawn. I found her in my bunk, Bunk4A, writing something down. She seemed busy and I didn't want to disturb her.

"Hey, Dawn. I want to nominate Megan for the Excellence Award", I said.

Dawn stopped writing and turned to face me.

"You want to nominate Megan?" Dawn asked me in surprise.

I nodded.

Dawn got up from her bed and took some papers from a file. She handed them to me.

"You're supposed to fill this form, saying why you would want Megan to receive the Excellence Award and you have to get at least 75 people to sign the form before the board of judges would approve the nomination", Dawn explained.

"Ok", I said, preparing to head out but Dawn stopped me.

"Wait! I need help. Do you know anything about fashion, clothes, you know, stuff like that?" Dawn asked me.

"Yes. What do you need help with?" I asked.

"Costumes. Please?" Dawn's eyes met mine.

"O-kay?" I said reluctantly.