Chapter Forty-Two

The Bad Boy Is My Baby's Daddy

June 7th 2013

____________________________________
Chapter Forty-Two -Terrance Archibald

After what felt like an eternity later, Cloud and I were finally allowed inside Ryder's hospital room accompanied by Carmen whom of which was already inside, seated in a plush brown chair with Ryder's right hand intertwined loosely with her own. Though, taking in Ryder's appearance made me burst into a new round a tears and I was grateful Cloud kept me close to his side—pretty much holding me upright.

Ryder was pale—paler than usual and he looked so tiny surrounded by large machines that kept him monitored.

I whimpered into my hand, gathering Carmen's attention and she immediately stood to her feet and engulfed me in a much needed hug which I returned, sniffling into her shoulder before she pulled away and I realized she was looking better than she was hours ago in the waiting room. Her face was cleared up of running mascara and her hair was up in a messy bun and overall she just looked better.

''You should sit down.'' Carmen told me, offering me the chair she was once seated in and I went to protest but she gave me this stern look and I nodded silently, taking my seat and gazed at Ryder. His head was wrapped in white bandages and his face looked horrid up close—almost unrecognizable from the bruising. His arms laid limp by his sides, both heavily bandaged up as well and I could only imagine what the deep cuts on the inside of his arms looked like to have had him bleed so heavily.

I wasn't used to seeing Ryder so still and vulnerable. He was an up and go and constantly moving type of guy—pretty much like the pink energizer rabbit. So seeing him in this state was upsetting and usually by now with all my crying he'd be the one offering me a hug which I'd happily take cause he gave out pretty damn good hugs and knew how to make a person feel better.

''Y-you look terrible, Ryder,'' I told him, trying my damnedest to lighten the heavy atmosphere that surrounded the room. I swallowed back the lump in my throat, taking Ryder's limp hand into mine, giving it a squeeze along with taking in a deep breath, trying to think of what to say because knowing Ryder, he would want this mood to change into one of humor. ''Not one of your best Kodak moments.''

''Yeah, I thought you looked good no matter what.'' Carmen added in her two cents, quietly sniffling to hold back her tears but catching onto what I was doing.

''Wha' you talkin' 'bout?'' Ryder rasped out, startling the daylights out of me. I jolted in my chair and even spooked when Cloud rested his hands on my shoulders to calm me down.

''Ryder?'' Carmen asked, emotion thick in her voice.

''Mm?'' He hummed in response to her but he seemed in a daze like state and due to the amount of morphine the doctor has him on—it's any wonder he's even trying to talk right now.

Carmen hurried over to Ryder's left side, taking his limp left hand into both of hers and stared down at him with fresh tears falling from her red rimmed hazel eyes. I didn't make an attempt to stand up, mostly due to the fact Cloud was making sure I stayed seated with his hands on my shoulders but I looked up at Ryder's face, listening to him mumble incoherently under his breath before a sigh left his mouth and he tiredly blinked his dark eyes open in a groggy manner.

''Wi...n?'' He managed, his eyes seemed to stare right past me and he frowned, lifting his eyes to Cloud and I turned my head up to Cloud whom was grimacing in return.

''What's he saying?'' I asked because it seemed like Cloud knew. Cloud opened his mouth to respond, his eyes darting to Carmen but this time Ryder spoke louder and clearer.