Sunflower

"I couldn't want you any more..."

Dad looks at her like she's the only person in the room. He looks at her like she's the sun, and he revolves around her. He looks at her like she's the moon, the only thing guiding him through the dark.

"Kiss in the kitchen like it's a dance floor..."

We watch from the stairway, our heads peeking around the corner as he spins her around. They melt together and continue to shift from side to side with the timing of the music. I ignore my brothers silenced gagging, continuing to watch in awe.

"I couldn't want you any more tonight..."

Mom pulls away first, looking at him with a glint in her eyes. She grins and grabs his hands, then starts her own dance. She lifts and drops their arms as she waves her hips, making him laugh. He joins, lacing their fingers and pulling her closer.

"Tonight..."

My eyes follow their movements. They don't do this as much as they used to, but any time we hear music after being sent to bed Shade and I sneak downstairs to watch Mom and Dad.

"Tonight..."

I grin when he picks her up, spinning them both around while she pretends to fight it. Shade bumps into me and when I turn, he's jumping around to the music. I bring a finger to my lips as a reminder, but I'm swaying too.

"I couldn't want you any more..."

When I look back to the kitchen, Mom is on her feet again. She grabs his face with both her hands, pulling him down to kiss her. I laugh at the sight, him leaning down and her on her tip toes just so they can touch.

"Kids in the the kitchen listen to dance hall..."

They used to only listen to old songs, but I think they just turn on the radio now. It always works out.

"I couldn't want you anymore tonight..."

The song goes on, but I can tell it's the last one. They always listen to just a few songs, then he kisses Mom one more time before they go to sleep. It's always my favorite part, their last kiss. Shade hates it when they kiss. But I think it's romantic, like Uncle Kilorn calls it.

"Sunflower..."

I tap Shade so he stops dancing and point to the stairs. He frowns and pokes out his lip like a baby, but starts walking anyways. I look at them one more time, just in time.

Mom is laughing when he goes for the kiss, pressing his lips against her smile. Dad puts his arms around her and leans back against the wall. They kiss for a long time, but when Mom moves, it's straight to his ear.

As the song fades out into something else, Dad smiles and turns his head. He looks right at my hiding spot.

I can't help but laugh, not caring if they hear me, as I turn and run back upstairs.