"Happy Never After"

S E V E N

Lunch rolls around sooner than i'd hoped, after nearly having my skull smashed in Nathan went out for a meeting and i hung around with Mike and Jane in Mike's office.

"So Jane, how do you know Anna?" Mike leans on his desk, clasping his hands together and waiting for her reply. Jane thinks for a moment, "well, we were introduced at a christmas party and we hit it off quite quickly" She explains, glancing at me. I nod in agreement, smiling at the memory.

Their voices fade into the background as i space out staring at my rings, going over random memories i forgot i had.

I pull into my parking spot a little pissed off by that dick driver. I carry all the bags up to the entrance and into the elevator, I exit it and I'm greeted by a person bent over looking for something in my flower pot. Me like the crazy woman I am, I drop the grocery bags and run towards the person, kicking them in their side and onto the floor further away than an arms distance from the pot.

The guy groans and sits up "what the heck lady?" He holds his side looking down. I scowl and cross my arms over my chest "what were you trying to do next to my apartment?" He sighs "you told me the keys were in the fucking flower pot!" He stands up rubbing his side.

When he looks up and our eyes meet I feel a sense of familiarity, but brush it off. "You're the guy?" He let's out a dry laugh "yeah no shit" I roll my eyes and pick the key out of the pot then unlock the door turning to him "well? Get in" I gesture for him to get his ass in.

My heart aches as i recall the first time i saw him.

Who knew we'd end up where we are right now with such a memorable past, that we'd make so many good and bad memories together, that i would be the one to walk away from us.

"Anna?" Mike calls, bringing me back from my zone. "Sorry, excuse me for a bit" I smile, standing up and rushing out of his office, desperate for some fresh air i push the glass door open to the rooftop garden, stepping out into the chilly afternoon air.

I sigh, letting the door go behind me and walking to the railing lined with colourful flowers and healthy green leaves. The colour of the leaves remind me of Nathan's warm eyes, or what used to be warm.

Now they're just... tired and cold, emotionless at times too. I miss the old Nathan and Anna, the ones who used to argue over pointless shit and get into each others faces for ridiculous reasons, only to make up a few days later.

I miss what Nathan and i were before. Before everything happened, before Jason came along to ruin me once and for all. What did he get out of it? He died in the end anyway, except this wasn't like other stories, Nathan and i never got our happy ever after.

We got our happy never after. We may act like denial filled assholes but we both know deep down, or at least i do, that i'm not as happy as i would've been with him. When i had Nathan, everything seemed to be easier. He made me feel things i never thought i could feel, he loved me with all my flaws and i his.

He genuinely loved me and i was too selfish to see it. I was too busy trying to protect either of us from getting hurt instead of working to make things better.

I ruined every fighting chance we had. I'll shamelessly admit that when i flew into London, while i was on that plane a huge portion of me hoped i'd get Nathan back.