Chapter 2

Flash back

Kristine's POV

24th June.

Finally! Today's the day when I will confess my feelings to Sam. I am so happy that I can't keep it bottled inside of me anymore. Where is he? Yesterday when we were at college I told him to meet me at the park and as usual smart pants is late again. Doesn't surprise me at all. I also noticed that something was off. I mean Max and Sam were not acting their usual selves, Max was giving me these sympathy looks where as Sam was looking at me like I was going to disappear or something. I also noticed that he was being a little more affectionate than usual, his kisses were long, passionate and I felt like he is memorizing every inch of my mouth. I don't know what are they hiding from me but I am planning to ask Sam, if the whole confession went well.

I was sitting on a swing when the other swing beside me moved, signaling the arrival of Sam. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Its time. I was about to speak but Max's voice stopped me.

"Kristy." There was something in Max's voice that alerted me that something is terribly wrong. He looked at me with sadness, sympathy, hurt, care and something that I couldn't place.

"Max what are you doing here? And where is Sam?" I asked Max, panic clearly laced in my voice.

He stood up from his swing and came to my side and sat on his knees in front of me. He was holding some white paper in his hand.

"Kristy he wanted to tell you but he was afraid he-"I cut Max off.

"What is going on Max? What are you talking about?" He was not making any sense and where is Sam?

"Here." He handed me the white paper that he was holding.

I took the white paper from him and saw that it was a letter to me by Sam. What game is he playing? Why would he write me a letter? We are going to meet in a while anyway. And I will confess to him that I love him but what is this letter about?

I looked at Max to explain but all he said was "read."

I opened the letter and started reading.

Dear Kristy,

I know you must be thinking that why I am writing you a letter when we are going to meet soon but Kristy I am sorry I know that I should have told you this before and not through this letter but trust me I have my reasons for that as well. Few days back I received a letter from NYU. And they informed that I have been accepted in their university. I was ecstatic but then I thought of you and how I am going to confront you about this. I knew you would be happy for me but at the same time you would be devastated. I know that not telling you in person makes me a coward but that's not the truth. I cannot see you hurt and heartbroken, especially if I am the reason behind it. And if you are reading this letter then by now I am long gone from here. I know I have done the wrong thing but Kristy at least I don't have to see you hurt over me. I don't deserve you but I don't want you to be anyone else either, I know its selfish of me to say that but I like you so much that seeing you with someone else will make me crazy. I don't expect you to wait for me, keeping in mind what I have done to you. But you and I both know that you will wait for me. I promise that I am not going to see anyone there. But when I am back, I will have you again. Take care.

Love,

Sam.

I looked up to Max expecting a laugh from him and saying that it is all a joke, but no. He was looking at me with so much care because he knew I was going to break down.

"Why?" I asked Max, my voice barely audible.

"Kristy he wanted to tell you in person but he was afraid of looking at you like this." He said wiping away my tears.