How to Curl Your Own Hair

Girls, girls, girls. Hair, makeup, shoes, dresses, why don't they teach these stuff in schools so girls would stop getting their heads mixed up about what to wear or what to do with their hair (hey that rhymes!) ? Well don't fret because here are some tips on how to style your own hair. I have personally tried this before and have found out that using a curling iron is more efficient though more risky than using curling pins. Take note though that I am not a hairstylist so I may not get the proper terms for certain objects.

The following is the first part of curling your own hair, whether you're using a curling iron or curling pins.

1) Firstly, sit in front of a mirror so that you can see what you're doing, then take a comb, not a brush and comb your hair thoroughly to get rid of the knots.

2) Part/divide your hair into four equal sections with your comb but don't worry if they're not equal. After each part/division, take rubber bands, and tie that section into a bun so that it doesn't get in the way when you're curling.

3) if you're left handed, start at the bottom right section and if you're right handed, start at the bottom left section. Divide that section across, not too big but not too small either. As a guide, you should be able to make at least 5 divisions across in each section.

(The following steps now refer to only if you're using a curling iron)

4a) Take the now hot curling iron and the hair which you have parted from the rest and lay the hair between the rounded part of the curling iron and the clasp (I'm not sure of the correct term) of it. Start just a few inches away from the scalp and work your way down like you are stretching your hair. Do this a few this three times, and on the third time, do not lift up the curling iron but keep it there and begin to curl your hair around it, working your way up this time. Note that when curling, you can either curl your hair upwards or down.

5a) When about to release the hair, (preferably after 1 minute or less, if you're using gel) and here's a trick, use the tail end of the comb to release the hair that isn't under the clasp but carefully and quickly so that the comb doesn't burn. When taking the comb to release the hair, first lighten the grip of the curling iron on the hair so that you won't have a hard time. If you're going for the "Marilyn Monroe" look, then don't do the comb trick but just simply release the hair and when you reach the left and right upper section, try to curl a few parts upwards instead of downwards.

NOTE: THIS METHOD CAN BE DANGEROUS BECAUSE OF THE HEAT, SO MAKE SURE TO PUT THE CURLING IRON IN A SAFE PLACE THAT IS NOT PLASTIC TO PREVENT BURNING, PREFERABLY ON A PILLOW BUT DO NOT LEAVE IT THERE FOR A LONG TIME. REMEMBER TO TURN IT OFF WHEN YOU FINISH USING IT. ALSO, TIE A TOWEL OR THICK CLOTH AROUND YOUR NECK AND ASK SOMEONE TO CURL YOUR HAIR WHENEVER POSSIBLE.

The following is for curling your hair with curling pins:

4b) Gather all the curling pins around you. Take the part of hair that you want to curl and rub bouncy gel (not necessary but it (the curls) lasts longer that way). Take one curling pin and place it on a finger (if you're confused, think of how you put Hoola Hoops on your finger :) ) then hold the end of your hair between the thumb and forefinger of your other hand. Take the curling pin and place it on the underside of the hair.

5b) Curl it up or down and keep it in position with its clasp. Continue in the same way until you have completed. Leave the pins on for about an hour or 30 minutes at least. Afterwards, remove the clasps and pins and enjoy your new curls.

*****

So I hope that I have helped with that issue. I have to admit though, that I am not that experienced with curling pins and excuse me please if I have got any of the terms wrong. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and check out the comments as I would be posting some hair styles on this particular chapter from time to time :). Also pm me or comment if you have any questions. My username is below so yeah! GO GIRL POWER!

- @yalianne13