[21]

"T-Tara?" Richie stuttered. His body was trembling from the shocking sight in front of him.

Tara got off the table and knelt down next to him. She reached out and gently held one of his hands. Her eyes glistened with warmth.

Richie swallowed the lump in his throat and touched the side of her face with his free hand. He caressed her cheek slowly to make sure that he wasn't hallucinating. His thumb gently traced over the edge of her scar.

The cephalopods stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity. Richie suddenly began to giggle. It slowly worked up into a laugh. He fell forwards and embraced her tightly, laughing and crying happily.

Tara felt his tears soak into the fabric of her jacket. She rubbed his back gently. Her vision was slightly blurry, probably due to being...gone for a long time. Her body probably still needed to finish adjusting.

Richie lifted his head and wiped the last of his tears away. Something in his mind finally registered. "Tara...did you speak when you respawned?" he asked, tilting his head. It occurred to him that she might've heard his short little speech after all.

She blushed with embarrassment and nodded. "I did," she said, hanging her head. Talking felt unfamiliar. Her voice was soft and slightly squeaky.

His eyes widened with excitement and he clasped his hands together. "Your voice is so cute!" he squealed. "But wait...how can you talk? I thought you couldn't..."

Tara bit her lip. She opened her mouth but before she could begin, the door swung open.

"Richie? I heard you laughing. What's-" Ashton stopped when he saw Tara. "You...you're back!" He ran over and hugged her. The smile returned to her face as she returned the gesture. Richie joined the hug as well. Both boys were ecstatic that the trio was finally reunited.

"Come on, let's go see the others," Ashton said, once they were done hugging. Tara stood up, but she felt slightly dizzy. She clung onto Richie's arm and he helped her walk as they went to the living room.

The girls looked up as they entered and the room's energy immediately rose.

"I knew it! I knew she would come back!" Callie chanted, leaping over Marie and pulling Tara into a hug. But she was shoved off by Richie.

"Careful! Give her space, will you?" Richie snapped, feeling protective. "Don't make her overwhelmed..." The past overprotectiveness was slowly returning.

Pearl noticed Marina's eyes glistening with tears. "Let's give Rina a pat on the back. She's the one who made this possible!" The tall female blushed with surprise as everyone cheered her name. Richie grinned as Tara whispered it.

"Should we go get Gramps?" Marie piped up once the cheering died down. "He'll want to see Tara too."

Callie nodded and pulled out her phone, but she paused just before she was about to dial Cap's number. "Wait. Didn't he go back to Calamari County?" she asked, frowning. "For important business or whatever..."

Marie sighed. "Dang it, I forgot..."

Everyone was quiet until Richie spoke up. "What if we do a surprise visit? It'll be fun!"

Callie and Marie looked at each other and nodded, their smiles returning. "That sounds nice. All of us will leave at 6!" Callie said.

"Yo, hold up," Pearl cut in. She gestured to Tara with her thumb. "Shouldn't we give the lovebirds some time to themselves?"

"Yeah, I'm sure they want to catch up," Marina chimed in agreement.

Ashton laughed quietly to himself. He was so tempted to make a joke but kept his mouth shut.