[13]

Eventually, the train stopped at Girl Power Station. Richie gently shook Tara awake and they got off onto the starting platform.

"Alright, don't worry. We'll be in and out of this in no time with the toothpick!" Richie said, strapping on his ink tank and bomb. "It only took me 15 tries to pass this test."

Tara glared at him as she put on her own equipment. She had fought off tons of Octolings before, so this couldn't be any different. And since both of them were taking the test at the same time, they could pick the enemies off rather quickly.

"Ah, I'm sorry. Only Agent 8 can proceed," C.Q. suddenly interrupted, inching his way towards the two agents. "It's company policy that only officially registered passengers with Kamabo Co. can take the tests..."

The Inkling looked down at the sea cucumber and felt the urge to stomp on him until he was a little blue stain. But she just reluctantly took off her ink tank and bomb and sat down near the squid bumper.

Richie smiled a little as he selected "Splat Bombs" from the equipper platform. "I'll be quick," he said, and kissed her. He went through the gate to the array of canned weapons.

C.Q. pulled up a small screen that kept track of Richie's progress. He went closer to Tara so she could see it too. She peered at it, seeing Richie select a Splat Charger and super-jump down to the orb.

"Agent 8 is truly special, isn't he?" C.Q. commented as they watched him take down two sanitized Octolings at once with a Splat Bomb. Tara nodded in agreement.

The timer had a minute and a half left. Richie had already picked up all the armor, and had Tenta Missiles equipped just in case. He climbed up onto a pillar on the right side and waited for the Elite Octolings to spawn in.

Richie had a confident smirk on his face. Tara blushed a little. He looked really cute. Her smile faded when she saw that Octolings on the opposite side had snuck in and gotten past the ring of boxes surrounding the orb.

The power meter started going down rapidly as the enemies attacked it. Unfortunately, Richie realized this too late. Just as he hopped down and raced towards the orb, the meter went empty and it was destroyed.

"The orb broke—test failed," C.Q. said into a walkie-talkie, and pressed a button. The bomb on Richie's back swelled up and exploded, splatting him instantly.

Tara glared down at the conductor, who squirmed uncomfortably. She sighed and looked up as Richie returned to the equipper.

"Maybe I'll try Burst Bombs this time," he mumbled. He looked at his girlfriend and tried to smile reassuringly. "That was just a mistake on my part...I'll get it this time!" He went back through the gate.

The green Inkling sighed and played with her tentacles as she watched Richie begin the test again. This time, he chose a Slosher. Things were going pretty good...until he forgot about an Octoling wielding a roller.

"Curling Bombs...they can't fail me," Richie muttered at the equipper. He went back out without even looking at Tara this time.

She sighed and closed her eyes. Slipping in and out of consciousness, she kept hearing bombs exploding and occasional muttering. It was almost soothing in a way. She eventually went to sleep as the minutes passed and Richie kept failing.

"Got it!" Richie exclaimed loudly as he super-jumped back to the platform. Tara jolted up from her nap, hitting her head against the wall and causing C.Q. to fall off of it. She looked up at the magenta Octoling and saw the Golden Toothpick in his hands. "It dropped when I splatted the last Octoling. I think she might've stuck it in her hair or something when she found it."

Tara stood up and inspected it closely for any damage. It was still in good condition. She put it in her jacket pocket and hugged Richie. She felt him tense up a little, but he returned the gesture. They boarded the train again and went back to the same seats. Richie turned into his octopus form and rested on Tara's lap for the rest of the ride.

She suddenly remembered the scar on his back. Did all the explosions make it hurt again? She'd have to check when they got back to the apartment.

Tara put him on the couch when they got home. He turned back into a human and stretched his arms, then immediately winced in pain. She went to a cabinet and got out some aloe vera gel. She went back to Richie and tugged on his shirt. He blushed a little and took it off.

She squirted the gel and started rubbing it on his back. He flinched and she took her hands off. "S-Sorry, it kinda stings a little," he mumbled, blushing more. He squirmed a little as she resumed.

"I'm really sorry I lost the toothpick," Richie said after a few silent minutes. "I know it's Megan's fault, but I shouldn't have worn it in public. If it got damaged...I don't know what I'd do with myself..."

Tara stopped applying the gel and cleaned her hands. She grabbed her notebook off the table and started writing. She handed it to him when she finished.

Even if we didn't find it, it wouldn't really matter. You're more valuable to me than anything else.

"Aww, Tara...that's so cheesy," Richie sniffled, wiping his eyes. He turned around and pulled her into a kiss, falling on top of her. But he suddenly pulled back when he heard a small squeak. "Did...you just...make a sound?"

Tara looked just as shocked as he was. She barely heard it, but she had felt the vibration in her throat.

Richie smiled and moved her tentacles out of her face. "Does that mean you'll start talking soon?" he teased, booping her nose. She shook her head and rolled her eyes playfully. "Aww...but maybe I can get you to make more sounds if I try..." His voice had a flirty tone to it.

Tara blushed heavily and turned into her squid form and hid underneath a pillow. Why was he saying things like that all of a sudden? Ashton must've been giving him more "advice"...

Richie reached underneath the pillow and pulled her out. "Come on, I was kidding!" he laughed, and cuddled the small green squid. He turned into his octopus form, his tentacles still wrapped around her.