[9]

A week had passed since Richie and Tara began dating. To their surprise, no one was surprised. "We shipped you two from the very beginning!" Callie had stated, giggling. Marie nodded in agreement. "It was so obvious," she said.

Ashton was supportive, but he had a sad look in his eyes when he heard the news. Something changed about him since then. He avoided talking to them and hardly joked and flirted with Callie and Marie. His migraines seemed to worsen too. The painkillers didn't do much good.

Tara had noticed a change in Richie's behavior as well. She couldn't tell if it was in a bad way or not. He had become a little more...handsy. When they cuddled, he played with her tentacles. If she was washing the dishes, he would wrap his arms around her waist and rest his head on her shoulder. And last night, she caught him with his face nuzzled into her chest.

It was nice to know that the Octoling cared a lot about her. But Tara needed some personal space now and then. Maybe he would realize it for himself. Octarians were supposedly smarter than Inklings.

But the last straw came when Tara woke up and found Richie in his octopus form underneath her shirt. His tentacles felt cold on her bare skin. She yanked him out harshly and threw him onto the floor. He turned back to his human form and looked up at her with a pout. "What was that for?" he whined, rubbing his head.

Tara rolled her eyes. He could be such an idiot sometimes. Did he really not see an issue? She picked up her communicating notebook that she used whenever she needed to explain something in detail.

You can't be clingy all the time, she wrote. I love you, but I don't want to be constantly held and cuddled and stuff.

Richie blinked. "But isn't physical affection part of normal relationships?" he asked, tilting his head to the side cutely.

Tara sighed and nodded. It is, but personal space is important too. How would you like it if I did that stuff to you constantly?

"It would show that you love me very much!" Richie responded, and smiled. "Just like I love you!"

The Inkling blushed. I love you too. But please respect my personal Baller. That's what I call a distance bubble.

He puffed his cheeks. "Alright..."

Even though Richie loved Tara, he had a problem. He knew deep down inside that he probably couldn't fix it, even if he tried.

He wished that she could talk. It was clear to him that she had so much to say and needed to vent all of her feelings. Writing them down wouldn't be the same. The Octoling felt guilty for having a selfish wish. He just wanted his girlfriend to be truly happy.

Tara sensed his cheeriness dull a little. She bit her lip before picking up the pen. I have to work all day today, but I promise when I get home we can cuddle as much as you want.

Richie immediately perked up. "Really?" She nodded and he engulfed her in another hug. He sheepishly let her go after a few seconds, remembering what she told him. She got up and went to go change into her work clothes.

After Tara had left, Richie decided to text Ashton. He knew that the yellow Inkling might be at Grizzco or the Shoal, but he might see it later.

[numbah_eight: waddup ash ^_^]

To his surprise, he responded quickly.

[bananaman: sup! you and Tara having fun over there?]

[numbah_eight: she just left for work actually, won't be home until 5]

[bananaman: That sucks. If only she played Turf War with us, then she'd earn cash in a fun way]

[numbah_eight: Yeah...]

[numbah_eight: Hey, did Callie or Marie say anything about Tara? Like why she's mute or something?]

[bananaman: Not that I know of. Why?]

[numbah_eight: Just curious ^^;]

[bananaman: u should probably wait for her to tell u herself tho. Even if I did know anything she'd beat my ass if I told u lmao]

[numbah_eight: I would take an ass beating for u bro]

[bananaman: ur a real homie Richie.]

[bananaman: We'll always be friends no matter what, right?]

[numbah_eight: yeah! Why?]

[bananaman: just curious.]

[bananaman: Oop, gtg. I'm going on a Salmon Run. Maybe u can convince Tara to join us someday.]

[numbah_eight: Alright! Cya!!]

Richie put his phone down and thought about Ashton's suggestions. Salmon Run wasn't like Turf War, so maybe she'd be up to it. After all, she was experienced at killing tons of enemies. He just hoped she had a good gag reflex.

He realized that Tara had left her notebook on the table. His hand hovered over it for a few moments before withdrawing. She used it mainly for talking with him, but what if she had wrote down her inner thoughts? It was likely, but he knew it was wrong to pry. Still...

Before Richie could stop himself, he picked up the pen and turned to the next available page. Her words from earlier were slightly visible through the opposite side. He began writing a short poem.

Your amber gaze is so intense,
But I love to see it in your presence.
I hold you tight and I know it to be true,
That I truly love you.

Richie drew a small version of Tara beneath the stanza with some hearts around it. He smiled to himself. Maybe this could be a new way to show his affection.

When Tara got home later, it appeared like she had a long day. Her clothes were slightly rumpled with a few coffee stains on the sleeves. An annoyed expression was fixated on her face.

"Welcome home!" Richie greeted her with his usual smile. He picked up the notebook and gave it to her. "I wrote something for you."

Tara hesitantly took it and read the poem. A smile slowly grew on her face and she hugged her boyfriend. Her mood seemed to be much better now.

They went to bed after a quick dinner of cucumber sandwiches that she had brought home. Richie opened his arms up for cuddles and she accepted gratefully as they drifted off to sleep.

At around 2 AM, Richie woke up to a cold sensation underneath his shirt. He lifted it up and saw Tara sleeping on his chest in her squid form.

"Tara, you're such a hypocrite!" Richie said exasperatedly, but decided not to move her.