Reflection

"The queue is still growing Sir; do you want me to stop them from joining it now?"

"No Charlie, keep them coming. It's our duty to listen to each of them equally." Drew forced the words from his mouth, praying for his brain to be cooperative and hold out for a break for a little longer.

The advisory sessions were always long and often tedious but they were important and Drew did understand this. He just also understood that silence was important and he was only realising how important it was to him as he sat in his well-used office chair surrounded by nattering angels, his head thumping as if it was counting down to the time when it would explode.

He rustled his wings, trying to suppress the need to stretch them fully but they were not so easily satisfied and so he would have to live with their uncomfortable ache.

Suddenly a hand crept up his back and massaged the point at which his wings met his spine, relieving the pressure almost immediately. Looking across Drew was more than a little surprised to see Izzy smiling softly at him.

"You need to stop fidgeting." She whispered to him as both of the angels before them thanked them for their help and stood to leave, only to be replaced by yet another set. "Do you want to get some air for a minute; I can hold the fort in here?"

Drew was stressed. Izzy could have told you that blindfolded. He sat up, razor straight in his chair, wings fidgeting around and hands not able to sit still, not to mention the knee that he kept jostling against the touching desks that was driving her closer to the edge of insanity by the minute. To be completely honest, she was hoping he would accept her offer just so that she could have a few minutes peace from him jogging her hand writing.

"No, I don't want to leave you." Drew replied stubbornly and returned his attention to the angel before him before Izzy could push him any further. "How can I help you Mr Clyde?"

"My wife, Sir, she is expecting triplets." The angel before him was in his late twenties, at a guess, and he looked completely terrified with the prospect of what the future held for him.

"Congratulations." Drew replied, a large smile dominating his features. Andrew had always loved children and he couldn't help but get excited every time a pregnancy was announced. To him there was no greater gift that God could honour you with that the opportunity to be responsible for one of his children.

"Thank you. I was just wondering, if it isn't too much trouble, if we may be able to have a midwife available Sir. She was seeing someone back home but, with all the moving about we have lost contact with her..."

"Say no more, my wife will be able to put you in contact with Jennifer; I am told that she is wonderful." Drew reassured the angel before him and wondered, as his examined the stress on the young angel's face, whether he too had taken on that constant panicked look recently.

Yes there was a lot of work to do.

Yes he didn't seem to have a minute to sit down.

Yes, he was trying to save his marriage.

But really, what were his worries in comparison to this angel's, how could his anxieties compare to someone who was about to have their entire world turned upside down and become responsible for the life of another?

"Of course, Ane, I assure you it is not a problem. If you write down your allergies for me then I can deliver the list to Sebastian and he will make sure that he whips up something that won't cause such a reaction." Izzy said to the female before her that was looking rather too green for Drew's liking. As much as he cared for his people he had never been very good when someone was actually being sick. Ever since he was little he had possessed a fear of being around the stuff after a nasty projectile incident one summer. He could cope with the sick and tend to their needs but the minute someone started vomiting he had to excuse himself or sickness would overcome him as well.