Costumes

Despite everything Izzy couldn't quite quell that childish excitement that she felt when she woke that morning. Maybe she didn't want to.

She didn't open her eyes at first. She was awake but just for a few seconds she wanted to just lie there. Just lie there and not think about the pressures of her world, not have to put on the heavy mask that dragged her features down.

She breathed in the delicious scent of cinnamon and pine and let it invade her senses. She allowed herself to absorb the flavours that she knew she wouldn't be able to savour. Indulging wasn't something that females in her position allowed themselves to do often.

Daring herself to open an eye without disguising her feelings Izzy found herself waking up for the first time in months without the pulsing pressure in her head.

She was lying on her back, staring up at the silky cream canopy that hung above their heads overnight. A warm glow came in from the morning sun reflecting off of the fresh blanket of snow that had inevitably fallen whilst the sky was dark and the stars watched. It made the bedroom feel warm despite the chill in the air outside.

Unfortunately the warmth didn't affect Izzy. Her feet furrowed into the duvet, her shoulders sinking lower so that only the smallest inch of skin was exposed.

Feeling her slight movement Drew rolled onto his side. It was late, much later than their usual wake up time, and he relished in that lazy feeling that he was only allowed once a year. In spite of the few freedoms the couple would be afforded today they were still required to carry out their public duties. There would be visits and speeches to be made but at the moment he didn't need to worry about them. For the time being he was allowed the indulgence of spending a few more minutes in bed with his wife.

"Happy Christmas." His sleep filled voice came out almost groggily but the sentiment was still there.

The mask snapped back.

"Happy Christmas."

Her voice broke through his stupor and woke him properly, his eyes opening wide so that they could absorb her face. Over the past three weeks Drew had made little progress with her. He had attempted on serval occasions to push through her barriers but, although her fight was decreasing, she didn't show any signs of being ready to open up to him yet. He tried to convince himself that it didn't matter, it was enough just to be here lying next to her but he knew that he wanted more. He wanted to be able to see her laugh again, for her to be carefree and happy. He wanted her to be loud, outspoken and rude. He honestly wouldn't care. As long as she was something, this nothingness that filled her eyes, the endless depth of darkness, was haunting.

"You're cold again." It wasn't a question. Drew's eyes shifted to the lit fire and back to the delicate shaking of Izzy's body. "I'll get you a jumper."

She wanted to say no.

Izzy wanted more than anything in that moment to demand that he stay with her, cradle her in his arms and never move. But she couldn't disagree with him. It wasn't her place.

Drew carefully pulled back the covers and slipped out of the bed ensuring that he didn't allow the cold air to penetrate Izzy's cocoon that she had created. He walked quickly over to his wardrobe and pulled out one of his jumpers before taking a detour on his way back to the bed and stooping by their tree in the corner of the room.

Clambering back into bed quite gracelessly he buried himself back into the duvet and then pulled out the jumper handing it to Izzy with a soft smile.

Gratefully taking the hoodie with one hand on top and one underneath Izzy looked curiously at the jumper as her hand came into contact with something that didn't feel like material. Sure enough on top of the jumper was a neatly wrapped present, the deep red paper adorned with an elaborate golden bow.