Chapter Two

My heart in my throat, I pivoted on my feet before darting out of the bathroom door. I ran back towards my bedroom, hearing the thing behind me as it snarled, hoping that I wouldn't be struck down. The dark haired man was running in my direction, but I didn't care. He was a fluffy bunny rabbit, compared to the werewolf. Even though my logical mind kept up a repeating litany of werewolves aren't real, my survival instincts kept screaming run. I barely registered the man running past me, pulling something out of his coat. For a split second my civilized side wanted to stop him from running into certain death, but my survival instinct said if he got caught first I'd have a better chance of getting away.

I bolted into my room, slamming the door and locking it with shaking hands. Realizing it wouldn't stop the creature, I struggled to push my dresser in front of the door. It wa heavy, and the bottom edge dragged along the carpet, resisting my efforts. I got on all fours and pushed against it with my shoulder until it was centered in front of the door. Standing, I looked around, listening to the struggle outside of my door, trying to figure out what to do next and fighting my guilt at not helping the man. I didn't have anything to use as a weapon since the man had taken my bat. I couldn't hide; it only stood to reason that the werewolf could sniff me out. My only chance was to get outside.

I slipped on a pair of hot pink flip-flops, the only shoes I had in my room. Just as I turned to the window, my door was blown inward. Splinters of wood zinged at my face, forcing me to duck to avoid an eye injury. The man and the creature burst through the remains of my door and grappled with one another as they fell over the dresser. As I began backing up, I realized that another werewolf was climbing through the door way. I had only a moment to wonder how many of the things were in my house before a strange feeling washed over me.

My heart, which had been tapping out a fast paced staccato, began to beat hard and slow. It pounded so hard that I could feel the blood rushing through my body, surging through my brain and making my chest burn. Looking around, everything seemed to be in slow motion. Werewolf number two was putting his foot on the dresser while slowly bending so as to fit into the room; the man was climbing off of werewolf number one, which looked dead judging by the way its neck was angled. He turned his head, and raised his hand to gesture to the window. "Run!" He said, his voice sounding as if it were a record that had been slowed, deep and drawn out. I swung back around to face the window, the movement seeming to take forever.

As I started running toward the glass, the man caught up to me. I glanced at him, noting that despite the fight, he didn't have so much as a scratch.

"Jump!" He ordered.

Without even looking at the window, I obeyed. We burst through it together, glass shards flying through the night air and twinkling like stars. As we fell to the ground, I realized there were two werewolves running toward us from the front part of the house, the claws on their back feet digging into the dirt and spraying clods of it behind them. We pushed away from the ground and started running again, speeding away from my house. I thought of my car for only a moment, discarding the thought immediately. I'd never make it.

I looked back to see that all three werewolves were gaining on us. I sped up, pushing myself to the limit. My lungs bured with the effort, and yet one of the werewolves was closing in on me, reaching out to grab me. As a last ditch effort, I jumped up to get out of its reach...and kept going up.

"Finally!" Said my stranger, jumping from the ground and flying upwards. Within a few seconds, I was twenty feet off of the ground, watching as the werewolves ran and bayed at losing us. They seemed to shrink as I went higher, wind whipping around me and causing my pajamas to flap like a flag. Once they stopped running, my heartbeat returned to normal, and things began moving at a regular pace again. Suddenly, I began dropping.