Chapter Nine

I ran into Kory, trying to knock him over and only succeeding in knocking both him and Lina over. They continued grappling, Kory grunting with the effort to keep her from biting and Lina growling and snapping at everything.

        "Please! There has to be something we can do!" I screamed, trying to pull him away from her.

         "Are you stupid! Stop! We have to kill her now, before she gets any stronger! If she gets away, she will kill and she will continue killing until she dies." He snarled as she tried to bite the top of his head, getting a mouthful of hair instead. They grappled on the floor now, rolling as they tried to kill each other. Looking for something to use as a weapon, I glimpsed my broom discarded next to the door in my haste. Letting go of Kory, I grabbed the shaft of the broom and stood next to them, looking for an opening.

        "What are you doing?" He cursed. He was straddling her, and held her head away from him with one arm under her throat. "Don't hit me! I'm trying to save your life!" Seeing my chance I brought the bat down with a sickening crack. Lina immediately went limp.

         "I really, really hope I didn't just give her a concussion." I murmured worriedly. Rolling onto his back, Kory glared at me. I glared back at him. "She's my best friend."

        "You're an idiot." He grimaced, rolling over and getting to his feet. "But somehow, you're an idiot with good instincts."

        "Gee, thanks. Do I get a gold star?"

        "No, you ought to get a boot in the ass. But since we don't have time for that, help me tie her up. Do you have any duct tape?"

         I shrugged. "I don't know. Maybe?"

       With an exasperated sigh, Kory went to my bed and began tearing off the sheets. "These will have to do then. We need to act quickly." He began to cut them into strips with a knife that had appeared in his hand. I wanted to protest his destruction of my favorite sheets, but the thought of the alternative silenced me. If Lina woke up, he might kill her regardless of what I said or did. Working quickly, Kory tied her wrists together and dragged her to my bed. "Would you like to help me?" He snapped, lifting her into the bed. I sped over to them before grabbing her feet and tying them together. I wasn't sure of the strength of the knots I used, but figured something was better than nothing. Kory tied her arms above her head to my headboard and then used another strip of sheet to tie her midsection to the mattress. I watched him anxiously as I tied her feet to the baseboard.

        "Why did you tie her to the actual bed?" I asked, unable to help myself. 

        "She can't get leverage this way. If I hadn't tied her to the actual bed, she may have been able to arch enough to use her teeth to tear apart the sheets holding her wrists together." Even though I wasn't happy with our current situation, seeing as we were doing something that I wondered was morally ethical, I couldn't help but watch him work. He was utterly focused on the task at hand, and when he bent to pull the strips of sheet around the bottom of the bed, I very much appreciated the view of his bottom that greeted me.

        "Hmm..." I hummed.

        "What?"

        "Nothing. Uh, so, what can we do? There must be something, or else I know you would've killed Lina anyway."

        Standing and turning to me, Kory grabbed me by the arm and led me out of the room, closing the door behind us. "There is. I don't think we'll be able to do it, but we can try since she is so important to you."