Chapter 8

The next morning, they have some important decisions to make. They agree that Vincent should go to the theatre as he is supposed to, to play tonight's show. He will take a gun and long knife with him, to make sure he can defend himself on the way.

But should he confront Simon, the male lead who set the gang on him, with his deed? Though confident now that he can stay in control, Vincent sees no use in exposing him. He wants to continue acting, and without lead actor there is no play.

But he doesn't want to stay subject of his tricks either, who knows what lengths that one will go to to remove Vincent from his life more permanently? The doctor and Adison don't like the idea of pretending nothing has happened, it would just invite other attacks.

They all decide the best thing to do will be to inform the director. He hinted at the possibility of something like this happening, and also told Vincent to come to him if he was set upon. He'll want to keep his play running, but he can also help to protect Vincent from further attacks, if only by letting the other actors and staff keep an eye out. There are so many ways to have an accident in a theatre, with props and special effects possibly going wrong, that they are all very glad Simon was lazy and let others do the attacking. Staging an accident in the theatre would have had a much greater chance of succeeding.

Accordingly, Vincent goes to the theatre half an hour earlier than his usual time. They all feel some apprehension, though Vincent has proven repeatedly in the past that he can handle himself in a tight spot. He goes straight to the director's office and spills the beans. The director is shocked, even offended that one of his players would sabotage their livelihoods in this way. Then he is concerned about Vincent's health, both physically and mentally. He did have to kill to protect himself, and he is clearly stiff and still sore from the attack.

Vincent ensures him he can play his role tonight, and has no problem facing Simon on stage. Having the director believe him is the most important thing. They decide to keep quiet for now, leaving Simon in the dark about how much Vincent knows about his involvement in the attack on him and his friends.

The staff en the actor playing the elderly villain will be informed and asked to also keep an eye out for foul play. The stagerats will do more than their regular checkups of all their equipment behind the scenes, and they will watch Simon from their hidden places backstage when he is in the building and not on the stage. Simon has always treated them with contempt, so they will be eager to catch him in some mischief.

'And when this play is done, he will be out on his ears, and you can take his place as my lead player, ' the director promises, 'I wish we could give him up to the guard, but that would be the financial ruin of my theatre, and besides, you did kill those men so they'd undoubtedly be asking you all kinds of difficult questions.

' Like where I was born, and who my parents are, Vincent thinks, hoping they will count the bodies left in the street as signs of a gang war flaring up.

And that evening, the director does his own share of acting, welcoming his cast as usual as they prepare for the show, pretending this is a regular evening. But he keeps a sharp eye on Simon's reaction when he notices that Vincent is present and no worse for wear.

And the lead actor's stunned, even shocked, reaction as he sees Vincent sitting at his dressing table, innocently putting on his costume and getting his make-up done, apparently unharmed and ignorant, speaks volumes of his guilt. The other staff have been warned and instructed to safeguard Vincent from further attempts, as long as he is in the building.

Knowing for certain now that his lead player has endangered the financial future of the whole theatre and its staff and cast, the director makes his next move. He asks Vincent how well he knows the lead role. Having rehearsed together for months, every player knows at least half the lines of the other players by heart, inevitable for an actor if he wants to know when to deliver his own lines.