Chapter 4

Afterwards, they lie still, spent, holding eachother close and wondering. How can such passion have taken so long to come out and finally show itself?

Why haven't they felt this way before?

They have done virtually everything together since the day they got thrown together, have shared every experience.

And now, suddenly, something has changed. The next day, they go about their tasks and habits with a delightful new awareness of the other.

Of course, most new lovers like to spend as much time together as they can, but they already know eachother so much better than most lovers do, that only the thing that is new, the passion, stands out like a beacon.

They know the doctor will spot the difference in them immediately, and hope he will not disapprove.

But when the doctor comes in around midday, he is himself so full of something that he doesn't really see his protégés. He cannot wait to share it with his friends, and as he hands them a bundle each he tells them: 'It's evening wear.

It's time you both get out of the house, get to know the world. We're going to a play tonight, in a theatre closeby, where they stage simple tales that start with love and end in buckets of blood.

I've taken a private box, you need not face too many people at once.'

After trying on the new clothes they enjoy a meal together, and then talk away the rest of the afternoon until it is time to go out.

Adison is looking forward to going out for the first time in months, but she is also anxious about Vincent. He has never been outside the house, and then go to a public place? Why not a park, or just a quiet block around the house?

As if the doctor can read her mind he says: 'I know it is frightening to see him exposed to people for the first time in what seems to be a very public place, but I think that people in a theatre are less aware of people around them, and too busy with how they look themselves and the entertainment to pay close attention to others. Besides, I'm certain Vincent will love the theatre, he has such a way with language and acting, he could be a professional actor himself. And we're always talking medical talk, I thought he'd appreciate the occasion. He certainly seems happy to see you in that evening dress, I know I am.

' Of course Adison has noticed Vincent looking at her with even more interest than usual, but what does the doctor mean by his last remark?

Feeling a bit self-conscious, she quickly returns the compliment: 'You don't look all that bad yourself, Victor, in that lovely suit.

Though you are a handsome man in any outfit, this really brings out the best in you.

You clearly have great taste in clothing!'

It is true. Not only has he guessed their sizes just right, Adison's dress makes her look not only beautiful, but she also feels very comfortable in it, not too exposed and not too conspicuous.

And Vincent looks just stunning dressed up: his raven hair framing his pale face, his suit cut to accentuate his broad build without taking away size, the blue colour in good taste but bright enough to take some notice away from his intense yellow eyes.

Adison can hardly keep her eyes off him, and she really looks forward to going out with two such handsome men.

The trip to the theatre is uneventful for Adison, but to Vincent it is a road of wonders. The streets are filled with people, animals, children. The sounds and especially the smells assault his senses. The laundry hanging over balconies, people talking, shouting, arguing.