Chapter 7

The next day finds the doctor up and about his business long before the others stir. Let them enjoy some private moments together before they regret letting him into their pact for a night.

He did not imagine his deflowering this way, but then he never imagined it happening at all. Investing in a relationship never seemed worth the effort, and he always, rightfully he now knows, scorned the idea of paid love.

Getting a taste of such intimacy as he experienced last night amazes him as much as that it was started by a man. A man he wronged so badly that he had expected to be hated by him forever, despite all his efforts to make up for his mistakes.

He hopes Vincent's forgiveness and love will outlast the night, for besides their own value, they are the key to Adison's regard, which he also secretly craves. Meanwhile the lovers have awakened, and Adison tells Vincent how incredibly stimulating she found watching him release his passion on a man.

'You were just so incredibly sexy dominating him so totally. I love the beast in you, though when it is focussed on me it is more careful.' Vincent stretches his bruised body and replies: 'Because I love you more, I try to keep it under control, but sometimes it does get away from me. It scares me, though it doesn't seem to scare you, the way you tempt it sometimes'.

Adison admits: 'I just feel you have to let it out regularly, let it spend itself, lest its energy builds up until you can no longer keep it under your control. And I really, really like it and trust it.'

A few weeks pass by with Adison and the doctor continuing to research disease through medical examination, using the knowledge they gain in their growing practice in medicin. They have managed to diagnose some cases that have been given up by other practicioners, but diagnosing is not curing. Yet. For they are planning to broaden their knowledge of possible cures as well.

This is mostly Adison's field of interest, for Victor's main study object is still human anatomy, which he relentlessly pursues in all the hours he isn't treating patients, eating, sleeping, at arms-practice and spending time with his house-mates. He has a private workshop in a mortuary, nice and close to where most bodies end up before burial or cremation.

Looking for more dependable medication, Adison has taken up her instruction in the Chinese medical art again. The only way to get that instruction is to visit the master who is willing to teach, in the community center in the Chinese quarter of the town.

Vincent usually accompanies Adison on her field trips though his interest in medicine is still minimal. But soon he starts to enjoy his time in this exotic looking part of town, and it all starts with a new acquaintance.

Most Chinese are not very interested in anyone outside their own community, though they do not mind sharing their knowledge with outsiders if they are willing to come and get it.

Vincent is soon sought out by the one exception, a Chinese young man obsessed by everything English. He even has an English alias, Bruce. Through Bruce, Vincent discovers two Chinese traditions that soon start to intrigue him, meditation and martial arts.

Bruce is a master of both, and loves to teach. Vincent immediately realizes the personal benefit he can get from practicing meditation, improving his concentration and self-control.

And as soon as he sees a group of people practicing some kind of non-armed combat which involves an almost acrobatic agility and again, incredible control of body and mind, it makes a lasting impression on him. He wants to learn this!

He asks Bruce:' Can I learn this?'

Bruce answers:' Sure you can, everyone with two arms and two legs can learn, and even some without that many.'