Sleeping Beauty- Chapter One

Chapter One: Briar

Deep in sleep, Briar Rose dreamed. Nothing in particular, she didn't even know that a Prince would come. But he did.

Phillip cut his way through the thorns and entered the castle full of sleeping royalty. He made his way to a tall tower where the princess slept, threw open the doors, and kissed her.

Briar woke up.

And that's how that story supposedly ended.

Let's continue...

Briar awoke to find a young man leaning over her. She sat up groggily.

“What's going on?”

“You were asleep for a hundred years,” the man said.

“What? How is that possible?”

“Do you remember the curse that was cast upon you?”

“Yes,” Briar replied after a moment. “But it wasn't supposed to happen. I suppose it did?”

“It did,” the man confirmed. “I kissed you. I am your true love.”

“What?”

“Is that surprising? When I kissed you, you woke up, just as the curse said.”

“It seems a bit lucky that you happened to just find me and kiss me.”

“Oh, but that's not what happened. Many people have been searching for you, and many people have found you. But the castle was heavily protected. Only I was able to get in.”

“Thank you, I suppose.”

“You are welcome, dear Princess.”

“Do you even know my name?”

“No,” the man admitted.

“It's Briar. And yours?”

“Phillip. Prince Phillip.”

“Fitting. If it has been a hundred years, is everyone dead? My parents?”

“A king and a queen are asleep downstairs. I guess that they are your mother and father. They look undisturbed.”

“Are they still asleep?”

“I haven't checked.”

“I'm going to go down now. You can come if you wish.”

“Of course I'm going to come. You're my true love.”

“We just met.”

“Are you rejecting me?” Phillip was shocked.

“No,” Briar said. “Not exactly. I just... Need to get to know you before I decide that I love you.”

“Very well,” the prince said. “I will accompany you downstairs. Shall I help you up?”

“I've got it, thanks,” she replied and got out of bed, refusing Phillip's hand. “What time is it?”

“7,” Phillip said.

“Just in time for dinner. I suppose that Father will want to prepare some grand feast.”

“Would that not please you?”

“I prefer to be alone,” Briar admitted. “I like people and my friends and family of course, but solitude is special.”

“When we're married-” Phillip began, but Briar cut him off.

“Wait, what? Married? What are you talking about? No one said I was going to marry you.”

“Don't you want to be wed?” he asked in confusion.