Sleeping Beauty- Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Briar

The story could have ended here for Briar, but it did not. The next morning, she figured that she might go and visit Miranda again. She was feeling lonely after a sleepless night, with no one to talk to.

Dressing in a pale blue gown, Briar exited her bedroom and bumped into someone.

“Pardon me, I-” she stopped talking when she realized who it was. “Phillip?”

“Briar,” he said. “What are you doing here?”

“I live here,” she replied. All of her feelings of anger at Phillip for leaving her the night before came back, and she arranged a haughty expression onto her features. “What do you want?”

“I was hoping to talk to you.”

“About?”

“Miranda,” Phillip said with an expression that Briar didn't recognize on his face.

“Miranda? What about her?” Briar asked, letting her facade slip.

“She's feeling guilty for some reason, and I was hoping that you could talk to her.”

“Me? What could I do? And when did you become friends with her?”

“Last night,” Phillip said.

“Is that where you were? Miranda's?” the princess was outraged, and wasn't trying very hard to conceal it.

“Yes, of course.”

“But when I went there, it was only her alone.”

“Ah, yes, you stopped by last night. I heard you.”

“So you were there!”

“Yes, Miranda was keeping me hidden,” Phillip said, oblivious to Briar's rage.

Briar stood still for a moment, then asked, “What were you doing there?”

“I am in love with Miranda.”

Briar gasped, then turned on her heel and stormed down the stairs. She couldn't believe that Miranda, her only friend, had done this to her.

Phillip followed her, unsure of what to do, until they reached Miranda's house. When he saw where they were, he stood up taller.

That drove Briar over the edge, and she kicked down the door.

“MIRANDA!” she screamed, bursting into the room. Miranda came out of her bedroom, looking shocked.

“Briar? What is it?”

“Don't pretend like you don't know why I'm here!” Briar yelled, tears threatening to spill out of her eyes. “How could you? HOW COULD YOU?”

“What are you talking about?” Phillip interrupted. “Briar, why are you yelling at her?”

Miranda seemed to only notice he was there too now, and her mouth dropped open. “Phillip! You told her!”

“Aha! So you admit it!” Briar said.

“Briar, please, just listen to me, I can explain,” Miranda said, tears spilling out of her eyes.

Briar willed herself not to cry as she replied, “Oh? Can you now?” I'm waiting.”

“I love Phillip,” the fairy began.

“Well he's not yours to love!” Briar interrupted.

“I know that, I know!” Miranda sobbed.