Keeping Secrets 11

Unknown POV

I ran as fast as I could. Faster than I had in my whole life. Because, this time I wasn't just running for my life, but for the beautiful bundle of joy in my arms. I couldn't stop, it wasn't safe. Nowhere was safe as long as my baby was with me. I choked on my tears, desperately trying to keep them down. I didn't have time for this right now. I must get my baby to safety. That's all that mattered. Him.

I could be thankful that winter hadn't hit yet. The air was crisp and stale, preparing for the cold. I could feel all the fallen leaves in twigs underneath my feet, a reminder that winter was well on its way. A reminder of the hell the next few months especially would be for me. My baby would be safe though, that's all that mattered. My sweet darling.

I felt agony rip through me at the knowledge that my mate would never be able to meet him. My beloved, taken away too soon. I could feel my soul shrinking further and further into itself the farther I ran. Soon my soul would be shrouded in darkness. First my mate, then my first born child. I can only imagine the horror I must've committed in a past life to deserve this cruelty.

I could smell a pack nearby. Too close, though, I must travel farther. I didn't have much time but I needed to get my baby as far away as possible before it was too late. It felt like I had been running for days, weeks even, though I knew only a few hours had passed. A rustle in the bushes pushed me to go faster. I knew there was no way it could be him, I know the state I left him in, but despite this I ducked away from the noise quickly heading away from it.

A few more miles and I came across yet another pack. All these wolves do is procreate I swear. I paused for only a moment, assessing this pack. It was larger than most, I could feel the power of their border. No, too obvious. I must find a slightly weaker pack. Something less conspicuous. Less obvious. The next pack I came across about twenty five more miles away was perfect. More secluded, still strong enough to protect themselves, but off the radar. Perfect. I quickly snuck past their patrol making sure to mask our scents as I crossed. Last thing I needed was wolves on my ass. As strong as I was, even I couldn't take down that many wolves.

Dashing through the trees I bounced from house to house trying to find the best option. I stopped near a slightly smaller house located a bit more north of the pack house. From the smell of it only one she-wolf lived here. She had a very alluring scent. For some reason her scent calmed me. Excellent. A natural healer, the perfect mother for my precious baby. I slowly crept up to the house peeking through a window. I watched as the she-wolf sang to herself as she prepared her meal in her kitchen. I could smell the food from out here and it smelled divine. She is the best option I'm going to come across. I sighed and quickly moved to the porch. I didn't have much time, I needed to get back.

Placing my sleeping child down on her welcome mat I pulled a small piece of paper and pen I managed to snatch on my way out. As fast as possible I wrote out my note.

Please.

I cannot protect my precious, so I must ask you for help. Please protect my baby, he is too vulnerable to the world. Let no harm come to him. No one must know of his true identity. He is not safe. His true identity must reach no one. Today is the day of his birth. Raise him as your own baby wolf.

My heart weeps knowing I will never get to meet the beautiful young man he's going to blossom into. Raise him, love him, that's all I ask of you. He deserves all in the world.

Many Blessings.

KC

With shakey hands I placed the note right on top of my baby, slightly tucked into the cloth wrapped around him so it didn't fly away with the wind. With one final longing glance at my baby I covered my scent and moved away from the house. Carefully I picked a pinecone from one of the trees I hid amongst and tossed it at the window by the front door. I tossed two more before I sensed movement towards the front door. I slunk back into the shadows and watched as the woman opened her door, looked around, and then finally glanced down in surprise at the baby at her feet. She squatted down and gently pulled the baby into her arms.

Watching her cradle him, I knew I had found the perfect candidate. She looked around once more, eyes glancing over where I was hiding, seeing nothing, and turned back into her house. I looked once more at the closed door before steeling myself and turning around. Please Goddess, if you're out there, protect my baby. He doesn't deserve this, any of this.

Taking a deep breath I shifted, now able to run in my animal form without the weight of my child. Without glancing back I took off again. I had to cover my tracks and get back before it was too late. He couldn't know what I had done. My baby couldn't be found. I would rather spend the rest of my days suffering than see a single hair on my baby's head get hurt. I wasn't going to lose him too. I couldn't lose him. I refused.