5

Chiron sent me to the infirmary where I was looked at by Will Solace, who couldn't stop smiling.

"Here, drink this," he said, almost giddily, as he handed me a cup filled to the brim with nectar. "I think you should stay here for an hour or so and then you can go home."

I nodded and drained the cup, my body instantly feeling better. Will lingered at the front of the infirmary before coming back to collect my empty cup.

"I'll, uh, be just outside. Call if you need anything," Will said as he placed the cup down by the sink to be washed.

"Congrats," I said, unable to contain it any longer.

He turned, his face a light pink. "On what?"

I shrugged and forced myself to sit up. "I dunno, but you're clearly happy over something. You didn't graduate, did you? You're a few years younger than me, right?"

"Oh, yeah, I'm not graduating," he replied truthfully. "It's...nothing. Just try to rest, okay?"

Before I could question him further he rushed out of the infirmary, leaving me alone and feeling confused.

Why would Will keep something from me? We weren't close, of course, but we were friendly at least.

After resting for a few minutes I instantly became bored, my ADHD kicking him. I sat up and decided to go see Chiron and tell him I was leaving.

As I left the infirmary I spotted Will, who was near the side of the Apollo cabin. Next to him stood Nico, who was actually smiling.

Will knows Nico? I wondered as I peered at them. They are around the same age, I guess....

Then I watched as Will grabbed Nico's hands in his. I immediately assumed Nico would kill Will, but instead he blushed.

Then it hit me. Why Will was happy and why he wouldn't tell me he was happy. He was dating Nico. Secretly, by the looks of it.

Kayla rushed out of the Apollo cabin and summoned Will and Nico for dinner. They held hands as they walked.

Of course he was being sensitive around me. It wasn't a secret, the whole camp could see them.

Whatever it was I didn't care. I was happy for them, but I was also furious at the possibility of someone keeping their happy news from me since Annabeth died.

I could be handled with news, even happy news. Why was everyone babying me and putting a stupid guard up around me? First Hazel and Frank, now Will.

Before I could think anything through I ran the opposite direction and off to the one place I knew could calm me—the beach.

I placed my hands in the water and felt instantly better. I sat on the edge and watched a few water nymphs swim by.

After what seemed like hours, a low grumbling noise alerted me that I wasn't alone. I turned to see a hellhound, almost similar to Mrs.O'Leary, except this one was bigger and out to kill me.

It's red eyes glared at me as it pawed at the ground, looking as if it were about to charge me, which it probably was, to be fair.

My hand instantly found Riptide as I uncapped it. And I ran towards the thing, no armor on, no nothing.

It was an easy kill, of course. I could take one hellhound, but before I knew it two more emerged.

I found myself scanning around for Annabeth. Usually when I saw more than one monster, I would signal to Annabeth which one I was going to kill. She'd take the other one.

But now I was alone. Absolutely alone. So I charged at one recklessly, just stabbing at anything nearby.

Then dust erupted from the the thing. I had defeated it. The dust made me cough and fogged my vision, allowing the other hellhound, it's companion, to lunge at me.

It's claws were warm and instantly pierced my back. I had fallen forwards and tripped over a rock, so I was defenseless. I had even dropped Riptide.

After a few more scratches I felt warm blood trickle down my shirt. Then, as my vision turned black, I heard it whine and topple.

The last thing I heard was my name being called out before I passed out.