six

"Wait, hold on a minute..."

Billie hurriedly rubbed her hooded eyes, quickly sitting up in her seat she'd spent the whole roadtrip slouched in like a hunchback. Klaus ignored her with a happy little smile over his cheeks and she spied Rebekah strutting unbothered through the worryingly familiar streets.

"Klaus..." Billie urged the original for an explanation. The hybrid leaned an arm over the open lorry door looking in at her. "Take a look around, feel free to explore." A deep dimple folded his smiling face as he spoke in a sarcastic Brit drawl.

He shut the car door behind him, leaving Billie to panic silently in her seat as Klaus revealed their destination to Stefan.

"Shit... shit, shit, shit!" The clairvoyant shouted under her breath to herself in the rearview mirror while frantically unbuckling her constricting seatbelt. She crawled from the confines of the vehicle, hearing Stefan's confused tone ring from the carriage.

Billie clenched her fists in frustration, hitting at the air to disperse the anxiety in her rushing veins. 

She figured maybe it hadn't been the best idea to fall asleep on the way over, perhaps she could have stopped the shitshow she knew was well underway. Her mom had always told her to be careful what she wished for. Over and over Billie had thought of how badly she wanted to come back.

And now, staring at the Mystic Grill in the town square, for once in her life, Billie Harper really wished she'd listened to her mother.

Billie's heavy, pitiful pants echoed around the deserted, dark road. Her legs burned with exhaustion and she finally felt the effect of the cigarettes on her struggling lungs. She thought of Stefan, the vampire with a crowbar shoved through his stomach laying temporarily dead at the foot of a sketchy white van. Rebekah, it seemed, had a temper to rival even her brother.

Klaus had lifted her phone, leaving her helplessly stranded with nothing but an incapacitated vampire and a van without keys. Of course, without the liberty of very many options, Billie had elected to do one of her least favourite things.

She started running.

The faint outline of Mystic High appeared ahead of her and Billie pushed her legs to carry her to the front gate, slowing her pace once she got inside. Her pants resonated along the empty corridors, frightening her with the knowledge that she most definitely had not made it before the hybrid and his sister.

Harper's eyes landed on boxes of toilet paper stacked beside the entrance to the pool, empty bottles of honey under door handles slick and gooey. Billie chuckled with a shake of her head in realisation as she got her breathe back. It was Senior Prank Night.

She'd always looked forward to this, she always wanted to be senior, cruise through her last year in high school and eventually graduate with style, a rented limo at her back and doves flying out in slow motion. Of course her expectations had been set a little high but the principle remained. 

Billie searched the school, keeping an eye out for booby traps here and there, but the eerie silence of the building didn't fail in crawling up her spine and settling in the back of her head like an ugly itch.

At the back end of the school, Billie began to approach the gym, beginning to think they weren't even here in the first place. 

With a huff of finality, Billie shoved open the wide blue doors, half expecting to find the place empty, just like the rest of the school, but instead, she came face to face with Elena, Klaus, Dana and... her ex.