four

Billie sipped lightly at her bourbon, glancing up to Gloria with appreciation. "This is some good stuff, Glo." She complemented sincerely. The witch only smiled humbly, eyes flitting to where Klaus was holding up Damon by the throat, stabbing small wooden umbrellas into his chest area. "Only the best for you and your... friends.

Harper glanced over unbothered, having guessed an altercation would ensue as soon as she'd discovered Damon and Elena were in town, the latter of which she assumed was talking with Stefan outside.

With almost all attention on her drink, Billie softly called over to the hybrid as he tossed the Salvatore to the hard ground and into a chair. He walked forward, breaking the leg off the seat and knelt by Damon, about to strike him in the heart. "I wouldn't do that if I were you..." She left the words hanging in the air for him to ponder over and it had it's desired effect.

Klaus paused, almost as though he were dealing with a pesky inconvenience. With a subtle glance to Gloria who watched on carefully, the witch sighed and threw up a hand, lighting the stake in the hybrid's hand on fire. Billie smiled thankfully to her. 

"Really?" The hybrid complained to his old friend but Gloria only shook her head sternly.

"Not in my bar. You take it outside." The original groaned in annoyance and simply pushed Damon onto the floor harshly, the moment of bloodlust having passed after the distraction.

"You don't have to negotiate your brother's freedom. When I'm done with him... he won't want to go back." With one last small shove, he stood to his feet, glancing to Billie at the counter with a meaningful look. Make it quick.

Once he'd exited the bar, Gloria glanced between the two of them and put her hands up in surrender, backing away with a hint of a smile to leave them alone. When it was just them, Billie picked up her drink quietly, pursing her lips in thought. Something told her that just as Damon had failed with Klaus, Elena hadn't been so successful with Stefan.

She stood from her stool, stepping over shards of glass and stopping in front of the vampire. Billie reached out a hand to help him up and he took it after a moment, groaning in pain and wiping down his shirt. Harper placed her bourbon into his hand, knowing he needed it a little more than she did.

Damon sat heavily at a nearby table and Billie followed, the both of them sitting in silence for a moment. "I'm sorry..." She broke the silence. He shook his head, chugging his drink and standing to his feet, Billie taking the hand he held out for her. "It's not your fault." His voice was so quiet, Billie felt her heart break for him, knowing that his brother was in this place but not being able to help him.

They walked out into the cool night, Billie shivering slightly at the breeze. She respectfully maintained her silence, feeling that the vampire was having a moment. She walked him to his car, spotting Elena sitting quietly in the passenger seat, fiddling with the antique necklace Stefan had given her.

Damon climbed in, but Elena didn't look up. Harper sighed softly, leaning forward and laying her arms down on the window pane for support as she spoke. "For what it's worth... I'm sorry it didn't work out." The doppelganger glanced over, nodding lightly, looking on the verge of tears. 

She couldn't leave them like this, Billie thought. Leave them thinking that Stefan was all the way lost. Billie hung her head for a moment before she lifted it up again. "He's not all gone, you know." Damon looked up, meeting her eyes with a fiery intensity. After all, Billie had spent this whole time with him, watching him fall off the wagon, being the only one he still had a miniscule tether to. "I'll do what I can."

Billie promised the pair, standing up straight and smiling small as they both nodded to her thankfully. She watched the car roll away into the night, headed back for home and Billie felt a pang of longing in her heart, wishing she was in that car with them but turning back around to the bar, thanking Gloria and heading back to the dingy apartment.